Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brakes,

Default Brakes,

Where is the post on putting the chevy brake shoes on our trucks?

I googled "brake shoes site:www.m715zone.com".

Came up with this, Brake Shoes
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

T H ANK YOU! WetCJ was who did it. And Jon posted it up. I needed the pic of where to cut the shoes, as stated this maybe the way to go. Guess I'll know after I cut and grind the first one.

Parts guy says he doesn't know what a #60 shoe is. So what does the brake shoes fit? Chevy, Ford,??????? also what year? Thanks.

One guy made a jig to cut newer shoes to fit.

IMHO, it's just as easy to have your originals relined. That's what I did. Find a brake re-liner in your area. I found mine through a friend's in-law's Model A club. The guy did a presentation on brake shoes for their cars. Poke around your hometown (or nearest city) and see what you come up with. Price for mine (several years ago) was right around $100 for all four corners. Now that I have front discs, I have TWO rear sets. <g>

If you look at the page linked above, the pic #2 shows a stock brake shoe in the jig. Pic #3 shows the #60 shoe in there. The 2 upper and 2 lower pieces of square stock define the place to cut...put the sawzall right between the squares and cut the #60 shoe in pic 3 to look like the one in pic 2.

I thought it was a Chevy shoe...I am not willing to bet on that though...see if I can find out for ya.

Same area different question real quick. I got some of the Ford Ecoline wheel cylinders and made them fit bolted everything up all nice to realize that the stock flexable brake lines are the 1/4" size and the Ford Wheel Cylinders are 3/16". I went to a bunch of autopart stores and no one sells and adapter coupler thing for those sizes. What did other people do about this? Yes Im cheap Id rather not replace those 40 year old flexable brake lines as long as they don't leak but it looks like I might have to go that route.

Thanks,
    Scott

Thanks, Jon. I'll have to check and see if anyone replaces linings around here. Thanks all.

The Chevy shoes-Raybestos lists them as 60-66 C30 rear (13 x 2 1/2), 60-64 P30 rear. Wagner-same applications except only 60-64 (single or dual wheels). Both companies have them listed as 60 for a part number but I think they add a letter prefix to the part number which tells the type of shoe materail. As I think I stated in my original write up, may not be the best plan for every one but at the time (3yrs ago) $35 per axle was a good price. If you have easy access to someone who can reline your shoes that is probably better.

WetCJ...THANKS!!!!!!

On the wheel cylinders, the Ford ones that many of us have used that require the slight ovaling of the holes allow the stock lines to thread right in. I think the stock lines are 3/16ths....maybe yours have been changed previously...but the part numbers below do bolt directly to the stock lines with no adapter at all:

Napa:
    Drivers Side: 37263
    Passengers Side: 37262

Tru torque:
    W37263 & W37262

One member even reported that he didnt need to modify the backing plate mounting holes to fit the Napa ones...bolted straight in.