Thread: adk4x4 : Leaf spring lube

Default adk4x4 : Leaf spring lube

Leaf spring lube
    Post by adk4x4 on Nov 22, 2006, 11:54am

According to the maintenance manuals the leaf springs were factory lubricated and no further lube required. I bet it wasn't intended for 35+ years though.

Has anyone done something to lube the springs and has it improved the ride.

I know, it's a truck rated for load and will ride like a morning stiffy without anything in the back, but I figured if the springs don't want to slide agaisnt each other then the stiffness would be worse especially when not worked out often.

I've heard of guys applying grease to the outside and wrapping them with bags and riding down a bumpy road for a while helps.

Iv'e heard of guys taking out leafs as well but I would not want to do that and reduce the load capability.

Default brute4c :

Re: Leaf spring lube
    Post by brute4c on Nov 22, 2006, 12:27pm

I havent done it but several members have mentioned going to spring shops and getting teflon pieces that are made to go between the springs to keep them moving nicely and quietly...

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Nov 22, 2006, 2:37pm

I purchased new springs from AB, thanks Man. Took the leaves apart and painted each leaf with two coats of Slip plate from my John Deere Dealer. Slip plate is a graphite based paint. I hope that it will keep them quiet and maybe make them a little more suptle when wheeling. It is awesome stuff, and easy to do. The more pressure you apply to the paint the slippery it becomes, and it does not come off easily. Makes the springs look great to. Mud and water or dirt will not stick to it. After I applied two coats to each spring I simply bolted them back together and installed. I can't tell you how they work yet as my truck is still in fabrication restoration form. Use the same paint on your tailgate and or door hinge pins and anything where two pieces of metal make a contact that needs some lube properties. It was about $20.00 for a gallon and I only used about a quart so far.

Default edinks :

Post by edinks on Nov 23, 2006, 11:59pm

I used the teflon slider material...so far so good. Truck rides good compared to what it used too.The John Deere paint sounds like a good idea too.Good Luck

Default squatch :

Post by squatch on Nov 26, 2006, 7:55pm

Total Cost Involved is a street rod company. They sell a roll of poly material that is made to go between leaf springs. It looks like black "hot wheels track". Take spring pack apart clean and paint with epoxy. Then cut this stuff about an inch longer than each leaf. Put between leaves u shape down to shed water. The stuff works better than stock type slipper pads. I have it on my PW. Sometime I'll spray a little silicone lube between as well. It doesn't seem to attract dirt like oil.