Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rip68 : Plug Wire Problem

Default rip68 : Plug Wire Problem

Plug Wire Problem
    Post by rip68 on Nov 7, 2006, 2:52pm

OK, I ran into a problem after I installed new plugs, distributor cap and wires. My longest military wire is about 4 inches too short to reach it's designated distributor cap hole. And the next wire down is gonna be a stretch. I numbered the distributor cap cover with the corresponding wire arrangement before begining. WTF!!??

Default brute4c :

Re: Plug Wire Problem
    Post by brute4c on Nov 7, 2006, 3:36pm

Did you move the distributor a bunch maybe?

Default rip68 :

Post by rip68 on Nov 7, 2006, 3:51pm

No, I'm certain that I didn't Jon. Has anyone else ran into this situation??

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Nov 7, 2006, 5:14pm

I presume the motor didnt grow and the wires didnt shrink....

I would put the wires in order on the fender, longest to shortest and work from one end of the motor to the other withthe appropriate wires...if you start at the front, start with the shortest wires and vice versa....doesnt matter where they were before as long as they:

fit
    are in the correct firing order
    Start with #1 on the ignitor and lace COUNTER CLOCKWISE.

I presume you know how to check where #1 should be?

Default vrod02 :

Post by vrod02 on Nov 7, 2006, 10:24pm

Probably got a mixed match set. Happened to me on a flat fender once.I'm glad you posted! I was wondering where the heater hose went into the block! Also you should have a lift support from the valve cover to keep the wires off the exhaust. I'm new, assuming mine is factory.

Default rip68 :

Post by rip68 on Nov 7, 2006, 10:52pm

Yes, I laid the wires out on the fender longest to shortest. Then I started from the front (with the shortest wire) and worked my way back. Only to find out that my longest wire was too short. The wires and plugs that were on the engine prior (while it was running) were civilian. So I assumed because it was running fine before I started switching over to military plugs and wires - that the prior firing order was correct. I do not know what component you are refering to as the ignitor is. The parts manual also refers to the ignitor but shows no picture of one.

Default adk4x4 :

Post by adk4x4 on Nov 8, 2006, 9:33am

Jon back me up on this.
    Looking at the pic, the distributer looks like it should be rotated 90 clockwise. This maybe the distance you need. On my stock dist., the inspection bolt(the "big bolt over the coil" is pointed towards the firewall, unlike this pic which has it almost pointing down.

If you didn't move the dist. in changing the wires it maybe ok timing wise but the cap is now rotated away from the stock poistion. I know my #6 wire is prettty tight the way it is. It might be worth checking exactly where #1 is supposed to be. Could all wires have been rotated in the civy rewire and now the whole dist. is 90 out of poistion with ok timing?

This would work and will have you come up short on stock wires. Although #5 looks to be a bit short too and rotating may make it worse. Check into it.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Nov 8, 2006, 10:38am

Th big hex on top does look to be way too far down....it should be about 90 degrees up from there...rotate the whole unit clockwise...good catch!!

The ignitor is the military term for the unit which contains both the coil and th distributor in one housing...since it is more than just the distributor, they gave it the ignitor name...

I would start bybringing the motor to TDC on compression, checking the timing marks, rotating the distributor to have the hex toward the firewall instead of toward the fender, check where the rotor is pointing and start lacing the wires from there...using that point as #1.

Quite possible the wires are the wrong lengths...I believe I still have a full set of the stock wires...I can measure tonight for ya...

Default airborne :

Post by airborne on Nov 8, 2006, 2:30pm

by the way, that heater hose is going to melt there, I'm told you have to use a pipe to move the rubber hose away from the manifold.

Default rip68 :

Post by rip68 on Nov 8, 2006, 3:30pm

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I think I'll start with the measurement of your longest plug wire Jon before rotating the ignitor 90 deg. toward the firewall. It certainly is helpful to have the Zone to bring questions to when you don't have anywhere to turn. Thanks guys.