Thread: compexp : Parking brake adjustment

Default compexp : Parking brake adjustment

Parking brake adjustment
    Post by compexp on Oct 14, 2006, 5:23pm

My 715 had the parking brake messed up on it when it arrived. It was missing the locating bolt on the left side as you look from the rear.

I replaced the bolt - but when I tighten the bolt up, the brake seizes the parking brake. I thought this bolt was just to hold the left side of the parking brake on?

Has anyone else had this issue? I'd hate to have that locator bolt fall out and have the brake bind up, but if I don't leave it at least a little loose, I can't move the truck.

Any advice out there?

thanks
    rich

Default oilcan :

Re: Parking brake adjustment
    Post by oilcan on Oct 14, 2006, 6:15pm

Mine didn't have the locating bolt, and worked ok for the most part, but I finally got around to sticking a bolt in it after the FE. I found one a lot longer than it needed to be, so I wouldn't have the trouble you're describing. A little blue loctite holds it in just fine.

Default firefightinsam :

Post by firefightinsam on Oct 14, 2006, 6:45pm

You could double up the nuts on that bolt and tighten the nuts against eachother.

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on Oct 14, 2006, 6:52pm

Well, what I'm wondering is if by tightening that bolt all the way that it's somehow tightening the brake - it doesn't look like it would.

In the parts manual, it shows a spring between the outer part of the parking brake and the screw point in the xfer case itself. I don't think my spring is there. I think what that spring does is to help hold the left side of the brake band off of the drum.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Oct 15, 2006, 9:54am

Rich, did you find the instructions for adjusting the parking brake in amongst the manuals? They have a pretty good description of what to do.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're talking about the bolt that runs horizontally from the driver's side toward the passenger side, on the driver's side of the e-brake, right? As I recall, that gets tightened until the gap between the band and the drum is 0.015". Then the gap is set to the same at the 1- to 2 o'clock and 4- to 5 o'clock positions by adjusting the J-bolt nuts and the nuts on the smaller bolt outboard of the J-bolt.

Oh, and there's supposed to be a safety wire through the head of that bolt you were talking about. Nothing to prevent it from backing out (can't jam-nut it).

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on Oct 15, 2006, 6:49pm

Tim, thanks for the info - I hadn't delved that deep into the manual yet - been busy prepping for Halloween.