Thread: jdobyns : Water pump pulley

Default jdobyns : Water pump pulley

Water pump pulley
    Post by jdobyns on Nov 2, 2006, 11:25am

I need to find a water pump pulley, mine was cracked while trying to remove it from the old water pump and put it on the new water pump, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

J.R.

Default kwai :

Re: Water pump pulley
    Post by kwai on Nov 2, 2006, 12:25pm

Easier to find a water pump with the pulley already installed.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Nov 2, 2006, 2:42pm

You can try the surplus places...VPW, Memphis Equipment, Surplus City Jeep Parts...

None of us have figured out how to take one off without breaking it yet...

I had a pump shaft shear while doing 60 mph some years back....the pulley bounced off the pavement and into the woods...I found it busted...when I bought my new pump, I had to pay the core charge for the new pulley...I think it was $70 or $75 back in 1997 or so...that was from Surplus City...

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Nov 2, 2006, 6:57pm

i know how to get them off. make a thick steel plate that will bolt on to where the fan blade bolts to with a hole in the center so you can insert a hardened all thread bolt into the threaded center hole against the water pump shaft and push off the pump from the pulley. if its rusted you,ll have to drill out the threaded hole as much as possible while still keeping enough register to locate the fan blade. the get a hard bolt inserted in the hole, put the fabed-bolted on plate in a press to hold it and press on the hard shaft thus removing the pulley not touching the v-belt grooves. heat the pulley to 400 deg. and freeze the water pump overnight and pulley will slip right on to reassemble.
    bob

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Nov 2, 2006, 6:58pm

ps i got a pulley too if ya need one.
    bob

Default charlieindelaware :

Post by charlieindelaware on Nov 5, 2006, 7:08pm

I had this same problem. I used a flange off of a Ford small block water pump. Had it pressed on to the new water pump, and used the pulley off of the Ford. I had some belt alignment problems because I have a 24 volt alt. instead of a generator. It used the back groove in the pulley. The Ford pulley would not go back far enough on the pump because of interferance with the pump body. I lined up the flange and pulley with the 2nd groove in the crank pulley and fabbed a new bracket to move the alt. out to line up with the 2nd groove. THe only problems I can see, is the Ford pulley is a bit larger than the factory one, which will give you lower coolant speed. I am not done yet so I can not say this will work perfect. But it beats a $100.00 core charge. (Memphis Equipment) Hope this will help you.

Default jdobyns :

Post by jdobyns on Nov 6, 2006, 9:27pm

Bob,

If I get the pulley from you do you think it could be pressed on without any problems?

Thanks,

J.R.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Nov 6, 2006, 11:03pm

YOU DONT HAVE TO PRESS IT ON. HEAT IT FOR 2 HRS IN AN OVEN AT 450 DEGREES PUT YOUR WATER PUMP IN THE FREEZER OVER NIGHT THE NIGHT BEFORE. PULL OUT WATER PUMP AND TAKE SOME WELDING GLOVES AND GET PULLEY AND PULLEY WILL SLIP RIGHT ON THE WATER PUMP SHAFT TO ITS STOP. WRAP SOME SOAKING WET RAGS ON THE PULLEY TO COOL IT AND INSTALL IT ON YOUR ENGINE. SEND IT TO ME AND I,LL DO IT FOR YA IS ANOTHER ROUTE........
    BOB

Default jdobyns :

Post by jdobyns on Nov 7, 2006, 12:21am

that sounds good I will give it a try! Thanks for the tip!