Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering Questions / Which box & pump to use?

I used a box from a 73 J4000--bought the truck for 100 bucks on ebay--Bolted right in-the pitman arm hole had to be enlarged slightly. Other than that no issues. I used the chevy pump that was on my small block as I planned on replacing the hoses during the swap anyway. On a side note I've sold the axles, trans, tq etc for a total of about 175 bucks to this point So even buying the new hoses I've made about 40 bucks to make the switch with a pile of parts to go---anyone looking for a stock box???lol

There are stronger boxes and weaker boxes...I think its been said that there are some with a "76" on them...they are the preferred stock units.

There is a difference in turning radius going to the power steering...Leo Porter sells or sold a ½ to 1 inch longer pittman arm to make up for that.

Make up for it? You mean the "76" box will be a wider turning radius with the stock-length pitman arm?
    -- Tim Taylor

My understanding is you have to use a power steering box and a new pittman arm that fits the power steering box. Due to the length of the pittman arm that is used in other applications, when used in the M715, one gets a wider turning radius and going to the longer arm restores the radius to more like stock...that is exactly what Leo Porter advertises the longer pittman arm he sells for.

The pitman are that came of our parts Chero matched itentical to the one sold on Ebay, I believe from Leo Porter. I have both and keep the Ebay one as backup.

Chris

This is Al here not fisherman. Another thing to be aware of is the steering box input shaft. Get the rag joint that goes with the box. There are two splined input shaft sizes. They are close so it's hard to tell. One is .780 and the other is .800 thou. If you have fit problems with that end of things check the dia of the input to the steering box.

I would fabricate the 4th bolt mount. I had a guy with a cherry 67 waggie that kept fracturing the steering box mount on the frame. Not a wheeler and every day driving is all it ever saw. I assume the box was loose to start with.
    It had multiple star cracks around each mounting hole. Not used hard at all.
    Thats with stock size tires to. Sleeve the 4th hole and use it.

Maybe the Chevy car pittman arms are shorter than the Jeep ones?

Could be but would need the taper opened up for the truck TRE. The car pitman arm I had was indeed shorter but also had the TRE forged into the pitman arm as a one-piece unit.

Chris

So has anyone used the quick-ratio boxes?

From the looking I've done so far, the "76" boxes have an extra reinforcement cast in to housing where the output (sector?) shaft is. These have all been listed as 3-1/2 to 4-1/4 turns lock to lock. Four bolt mounts as well.

The quick ratio boxes are four bolt mounts but no cast reinforcement on the housing. They are 2-1/2 to 3 turns lock to lock.

I've found one that is a "76" style box that has the quick ratio parts installed.
    Price is a bit higher on that one though.

Less turns sounds good.

The auto stores list for example, a 1978 Wagoneer as a 3 bolt box with 3-1/8 to 4 turns.

The pitman arm for FSJ I've seen listed at 6-5/8" center to center with a 1" drop.

I remember a couple people posting that:

A pitman arm off of a 79-88 Ford Bronco has the same splines as the saginaw box and is the correct length and has a large enough hole for the 715 tierod end.

The dropped Bronco arm from the same years works too for those who need one for a springover or etc.

I'm just guessing there must be a length issue or people wouldnt be going around finding the interchanges...but I could be wrong..it has happened before...