Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: foodstamp's incredible, never-ending multi-topic thread

If it runs, run it.

I might be interested in adopting your Chevy adapter if you decide to part with it!
    -- Tim Taylor

Well, as I aquired my M-715 when I was like 15 or 16, and have been working on it all through Highschool and into my first few years of college now, here is my advice to you:

Do not give up on the diesel swap, BUT, I would wait on it. You have a possible perfectly good working engine in your 715 already, get that thing running and driving. Don't start dropping $500 here and there on custom adapters and transmissions. There is more than enough to keep you busy on your 715 as it is right now, trust me, I spent like 3 years worth of summers working on odd and end stuff that truely improved the performance and drivability of my 715 that I didn't even think about when I first got it. You could get all that odd and end steel off of that 715 and really clean it up nice, you've got lockouts that you should buy (assuming your going to keep those axles), you could get a nice set of tires, you could get a new windsheild, top canvas, axle seals, windsheild wipers, etc.... You could easily spend $500 on well worth it parts. Besides, once you get that diesel in there, your going to have to spend money on that stuff anyways. Personally, I'd rather have a running driving 715 right now, than a 715 that is in the shop for years because I was working on trying to swap an engine in it, especially when the engine that was in it might be perfectly fine. PLUS, then you could drive it to Highschool, right? I didn't get to drive my 715 to High school till like my Senior year because I spent all my time doing stuff that I shouldn't have made a priority.

Make a list of everything you plan on doing to your 715. Then step back and prioritize that list based on what is the most important and most cost effective. Then start at the top and start working your way through. It might take you 5 or 6 years, but you'll be ahead in the long run.

I would spend a little bit of time and money on the engine you already have. Obviously, if it has some major mechanical problem, then sure, hank it out. Never give up your ultimate dreams for your 715, I still have some long term goals (one of which includes swapping in a very uncommon diesel engine), but they are that, long term. School should be a priority, and it will take up an enormous amount of your time and energy.

I hope this helps you out, and based on whatever you decide to do, I'll try to help you out the best I can.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

i might have found a 6.2 chevy for cheap, i hered that it was a better motor, so i might go with that, i was set on the jd motor, but its a little un practicle for me.

that old 6 cyl fired up though ha, their was no problems at all except the solinoide wouldent push the gear out all the way, but i got it to work, turned over a couple times and with some starting fluid, it fired right up

thank you for the advise rpg!

Man, I'd probably run that engine for a long time if it only took a little work- gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

ya, i think it will be kinda weak, but that 6.2 all i have to do to find one is go to some farmers, and see if they have any old trucks, then snag the motor and take it apart new gaskets, and just go over it, make shure its all good, slap it in and it will run. my tranny is adapted to chevy already so thats cool

What about a 6.2 diesel. They are easy to find and will work with most trannys out there. Would be a good start in the diesel world. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgekaiser View Post
    What about a 6.2 diesel. They are easy to find and will work with most trannys out there. Would be a good start in the diesel world. Just a thought.
    uh, yeah... you'd think that would have come up in this thread a couple times already, or something.....
    **I heart Bump_r **

Heh. hehehehe...