Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: foodstamp's incredible, never-ending multi-topic thread

Well okay, I've been following this thread now for a few days and just thought I'd throw in my two cents.
    While I do appreciate ambition and respect forward thinking individuals, I must say there is something to be said for moderation too.
    Since this is your first project and based on your last question of where to start I would highly recomend that you re-think some of your choices.
    First of all, although it would be "cool" to have a diesel powered, granny geared big wheeled monster truck, just how reasonable is actually accomplishing the task of fabrication? It sounds like you have access to all the hardware and facilities but when you start talking about 500 dollar adapters for the transmission (that's just one small part of the build) and trying to cobble in a 6bt and MAJOR bodywork intrusions into the cab....well I think you get the point.
    You may be just as happy with something a little easier to accomplish (build) and get out wheeling without spending your first two years of college tuition. Afterall, the desired end result is to have a drivable, somewhat reliable, piece of rolling stock that you can go out and have fun with. Not have a "project" that may take years to build, get right, invent and reinvent every little aspect which will undoubtedly lead to boredom and possibly abandonment of the project altogether.
    I really don't mean to sound like a downer nor rain on anybodys parade but, what about just dropping in a chevy 350, a crawly 4 speed and some tires and just run it for awhile? It would be much easier and wayyyy less spendy than some of these alternatives suggested on this thread.
    Again, never to put a damper on anyones dreams but maybe just a modicum of planning and execution would yield a much higher end result.
    Just my two cent's.....and absolutely best of luck with your plans and accomplishments.

That was really well put, Tracy.

Something we don't often bring to the surface here as we all get excited about the possibilities of another member's project ideas is the usually-astonishing costs associated with getting it done. As I recall, foodstamp, you are around 16 years old. Well, at 16 I know I sure didn't have the funding source to deal with a whole lot of project like this! YMMV, of course.....

While I sure appreciate what fng had to say, I can see that it might be taken wrong (as clearly occurred to fng). I agree with him that this is just something you should pause to consider as you figure out which way you want to go with your project.

That said, pretty much anything is possible with these trucks and you will find encouragement and plenty of help on the Zone whichever way you decide to go. But in the end, you'll be the one opening the wallet....
    -- Tim Taylor

Very sorry if I misunderstood. I was just trying to throw out another view point. Foodstamp, rock on buddy!

I think I understood you, fng! Your intent was (and wisely I believe) to bring another perspective to the discussion. So often we get caught up in what some of the possiblities are that we lose sight of a little thing such as practicality! You tried to shed some light on that is all, right?

I thought your 2 cents were worth far more than that! I agree with what you said and intended to support that in my response. And, in the end, we would all support and help another member with whatever he ended up choosing to do. Rock on, indeed!
    -- Tim Taylor

i think the biggest issue is cost. on the sticky that Brute4c has concerning a 6BT swap . The person ran a 3inch body lift and no intercooler with a electric fan. said it was tight but worked fine. i work in Iraq and have nothing better to do than dream and plan, so i'm going cummins or i'm not building it. I also have access to bend's, break's, rollers, mil's, lathes, and my father is a machinist of 20+ years for a defense contractor. If i can't buy it i'm sure he can make it. But i fully agree a SBC and 4speed is the tried and true way of performing a repower and doing it at cost.

ya. i hear you, i think im getting into alot, but im going to try and tackel it, ive got a little bit of money, and a motor thats literally just sitting, and its that john deere, so in stead of going with my original plan of a 383, i think it would be sweet to throgh that deere motor in it.

my plan is to take off the clip and bed soon, clean it all up, and go through the axils. then later on ill take the cab off and get that all in order.

heres some pictures

i was talking with my dad for a sec, and what do you guys think about the stock tranny thats already in these rigs? if you guys think that it would be a good rout for me to go with for right now let me know and ill take it out and rebuild it if it needs to.

The stock tranny (T98) is supposed to be a pretty good one. The only real problem is the lack of an overdrive, which might be even more significant behind a diesel with the low gearing in the axles. And the unsynchronized 1st gear, but I've got that in my CJ too, so I'm getting sort of used to it by now!

Say, what motor is that living in there now?
    -- Tim Taylor

One more thing to think about on your Deere engine idea and it's been brought up before.

Oh let's say it's a 4239 Turbo, pretty common engine in use about ten years ago or so.

It's rated at 67 HP at 2200 rpm and 192 lb-ft at 1200 rpm.

I don't know what the 4BT's spec out at, but that doesn't seem like it would be worth it to me. Cost/benefit wise.

But hey, I'm all for it if you can pull it off.

ya ill have to write the vin down and look it up...

right now i think that motor thats in the truck right now is a chevy 280 or 285, so the tranny is set up for a chevy, i would accually like to put a chevy diesel in it, but that would probly be a arm and a leg. i hered that the motor runs, but i havent tryed it yet