Page 1 of 33 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: foodstamp's incredible, never-ending multi-topic thread

Default foodstamp's incredible, never-ending multi-topic thread

ok.....i seen something about putting cummins in these rigs, well i have a 4 cyl turbo john deere that im thinking about putting in my truck.

what do you think, good or bad?......it will be a manual tranny, not shure which one though, i think its the one thats in most dodge's. 5 speed with granny low. ill have to get a adapter plate im guessing.....or is their a better tranny out their. im looking for something with a nice low gear, but a good highway gear too...im new to these trucks. 16 years old with a project truck ha

Not saying this can't be done, just some things to think about:

You should find out the engine size, HP, Torque output of that engine, see if its even up to snuff. No sense wasting time with a diesel thats too small.

You should do some more research on the tranny you want, I think you are refering to an NV4500.

I have no idea how you are going to couple the two. You'd have to do some research and see if there is someway a bellhousing will mate the two, or something. Like I said, that seems to be the interesting part of this idea.

Other than that, if the diesel's got the oomph, and the tranny mates up, run it!
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Yeah NV4500 sounds like the ticket, but like rpg states. I am wondering where you will find a bellhousing to mount it to the motor. What did the motor come out of??.

I would think any 4 cyl. JD is going to be too small. All JD engines I've seen go to 6 cyl. at about 100HP. So I'm guessing it's under 100HP. Another thing is JD engines and other parts usually fit JD stuff and JD only. I would bet a bellhousing would have to be custom made but you never know. I've seen alot of engines in alot of stuff that I wouldn't think would work out but someone made it work. I'd just do my research good before I got too far into it.

Another thing about the trans. A Dodge NV4500 won't have a "granny low". There were some Chevy NV4500s with "granny low" but they are hard to find so I've heard. If you use the stock axles any trans will have a granny low in first gear though.

I've seen alot of Deere four cylinders bolted up to 4 speeds. T98's I think is what they've been. Probably wouldn't be an easy find, but they're available.

It's all industrial type stuff though. Don't think you'd find it in a junkyard.

What's your model number on the engine?

G.M. installed J.D. 6cyl turbos in motorhome chassis during the early 80's. In front of allisons. A friend of mine has a 4 cyl turbo J.D. on a tub grinder. the tag says 125h.p. about the same as a 4bt.

The NV4500 had two different 1st gear ratios. Chevy models the first year or two of production was way up there as far as crawl ratio. (I forget the actual numbers, but they don't matter for this fast post.) All the Dodge models and the Chevy ones from about mid 1994 had the same ratio which was not as severe as the early Chevy one.

Basically, the early Chevy ones are about the same or a little higher than the SM420. The rest of them will still crawl along at a slow walk pace though. It is not a road usable 1st.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

it came out of a street sweeper, the cummings ive heard has only about 80 hp. but i dont know about that seems like more, but this 4 cyl is prety big, ill have to check out the tags and ill get back to you on that. over here theirs a guy that makes custom bell housings, i think its probly $500, but thats what i heard

So to the other part of his question---Anyone have pictures of a cummins in a 715? I would think a 6.2 or 6.5 GM would be as "easy" as a SBC install.