Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restore or Resto-Mod?

Resto-Mod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Welcome,
    I am one of those that likes stock however I made a few safety changes. Electronic ignition, dual reservoir brake mc, etc.

Thanks for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by teking View Post
    unless it is that old military vehicle vibe (leaking roof, no isolation, etc) that you are going for just in a more reliable platform. Reality is for a WHOLE LOT of people, "daily driver" doesn't mean 70MPH down the highway (interstate). Usually 55 on no more than a state road. What I would agree with is saying the M715 in any form is probably not good for EXTENDED trips.
    Until I made a camper stand out of my M715, I used it quite frequently, with no expectation of any more than 55 mph.

The M715 will redefine what "extended" means: I took a 150-mile trip to Wyoming a few years back, one that I've done routinely in my '08 Dodge. In the Jeep, it was an expedition.

Quote Originally Posted by joeciv View Post
    I have been looking at a M715 across an open field for a couple of years. Yes, its been in the sun and exposed to everything. I did walk up to it about 2 years ago and it was a roach. It is still parked in the same spot that it was when i saw it two years ago. So I reached out and found the owner this week, I bought it. I am assuming that it doesn't run, that everything is locked up. it has not interior, no top, and i am guessing that it has no tailgate. That said - did i buy a $1100 paper weight? I was thinking about Restoring this, but now I'm thinking about making an Urban Cowboy truck out of it (I have some hunting land, but even out there i have nice groomed trails and don't risk the broken parts that go with serious off-reading like i did when i was.... Ahem, younger).
    Thank you to everybody for your input. I'm taking it all in. Right now, I live 1700 miles from the truck (which is still sitting in the field). I talked to a guy that is going to go over and check it out for me this weekend. Like I said, not expecting good news - but at least I will know where I am to start. I'm leaning along the lines of "Teking", do this in phases. First thing first, i'm going to get it running. I am probably not even going to bring it up north for at least a year - after it at least runs. There is no title, but it is in Alabama - so that shouldn't be a big problem. I can get a title for it down there with a bill of sale. I won't be back in Bama until November. So it will remain where it is until then. I ultimately want it to be a RESTOMOD - painted black and updated. I am thinking about swapping it out for a durrango power plant. I have a friend getting ready to off load his durrango.

One reason I went with a Cheby 350 (from a '77 van) was that I will most likely always (for as long as I am around anyway) be able to run into a local NAPA, and get parts off the shelf. Plugs, wires, water pump, HEI module, whatever. At most a day's shipment away.
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser715 View Post
    One reason I went with a Cheby 350 (from a '77 van) was that I will most likely always (for as long as I am around anyway) be able to run into a local NAPA, and get parts off the shelf. Plugs, wires, water pump, HEI module, whatever. At most a day's shipment away.
    Yup-- there's something to be said for an engine you can pretnear buy parts for at a convenience store.