Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much Gillespie paint for a M715 and trailer?

I have called Gillespie and spoken with one of their paint reps. He said yes you can paint Gillespie top coat over a urethane epoxy primer. The condition being that it gets scuffed with sandpaper before hand. Epoxy primer especially if it sits for a while can tend to be smooth and not have much for a top coat to grab on to. When I painted the last restoration I scuffed the epoxy primer with red scotch brite. The top coat was urethane metallic high gloss car paint. It went fine.
    The Gillespie primer has zinc and properties that should handle corrosion just fine. I ordered a gallon of black primer, chassis black satin, and two gallons of 30277 sand camo from Mark at Rapco. I had a 45 minute conversation with Mark. Great guy there.

Al,
    Mark at Rapco is a military vehicle guy and a Jeep guy. Of course you talked for 45 minutes.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

And he told Boyce equipment he would call them back because he was not done BS'ing with me.. Ha I got to hear about Marks former fleet of M715's and M35's that were rentals for the hollywood movies being made. Lone wolf Mcquade etc. And the M151 that kept coming back. I truly appreciated the conversation. This hobby is filled with great folks. I had a long conversation with Jay at saturn surplus also. They will be closing soon. Sad thing there.
    I am looking forward to the paint arriving. After toiling for quite a long time, I think the best decision got made. I hope to be back on the truck pretty soon. Good things were happening when I had to address other things.

After finally getting my paint from Fed Ex's repeated delays I am super pleased. It is just about what I was looking for. I brushed on a patch and really like it. I probably did not mix the semi gloss black well because it has quite a shine to it. But the contrast will be sharp. 30277 Sand Camo and 931 semi gloss black.
    I think it is great. Thanks for the help.

Al,
    I somehow didn't pick up on the fact you are painting tan. I hate shooting that color! I did a M1010 ambulance for somebody a few years ago. It was military applied tan and had runs everywhere. He just wanted all the runs gone and fresh paint. I thought it would be easy and started sanding. Then came the painting.

I could not see where I had just painted enough to get even coverage. My solution was to paint in the dark with a hat mounted light. It let me see the just wet paint and distinguish it from the already there for years dry paint. That was a major pain of a paint job. Second and third coats were just loads of fun.

You have been warned.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Wow, that does not sound like fun. Tan over tan would be a serious challenge. I am fortunate though. Thankfully the cab from Glenn is red and my bed is black. I did buy black primer knowing it will influence the final coat. I hope it goes better than your paint work. Good lighting sure helps. I know when you were done it was great to look at though.
    25 last night. So time to start winterizing stuff and fix the plow truck. Where did the summer go? I was not done goofing off.

My 4 paint cans are on their sides. I rotate them about every three days. To keep the solids fluid and moving so they mix easier when the time comes. I have a question for anyone that has used the Gillespie primer. Is it high solids? Does it fill sanding lines when sanded back some? Or is it fairly thin and needing more prep for a smooth surface. I have painted a couple rigs and the standard high build urethane primers made things easy for getting a good looking job once sanded a little. Just curious how the Gillespie is for solids and filling minor imperfections. 16 degrees here. That's warm enough to paint right?

Al,
    I have never used the Gillespie paint below 50° so I can’t comment on that.

I think the Gillespie primer is the smoothest when dry primer I have ever used. It doesn’t have the usual rough finish primer always seems to have the next day. Is that what you are asking?

I was kidding on the temperature thing. I wanted to know if the primer fills sanding lines. Or how thick is it. Some primers are high build for a smooth sand back just before paint. And some standard primers while still needing a scuff before paint do not fill minor flaws as well. I know what to expect from regular auto paint. The only other time I have used the Gillespie is on Mikes (503M715) truck years ago. Over ten years. I have slept since then and can't remember. Or I am just reflecting being 57. Thanks for the reply.

Al,
    I have a rule for all of my military vehicles. No filler! If I can’t fix it with a hammer, weld it or grind it, it just adds character and I just leave it the best I can get it. With the non gloss paint used on these trucks there is only so much beyond what has to be done to make the paint stick before you get diminishing returns on your labor.

With that philosophy in mind. Once primed I wet sand the primer, then shoot the paint. I do like how smooth the primer is before wet sanding and especially after. Then the paint looks great.