Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine bogs down

Default engine bogs down

i have a chevy 350 in my m715
    i checked the timing
    and the distibutor
    when i am driving the motor bogs down like its starving after i reach 4 gear at 40 mph

if i give it more gas it bogs more and more

Have you checked the fuel filter?

I'll assuming you have a carb... Check fuel pressure while it's running. Tee a gauge into the line, set it on the hood, go for a drive, and make sure it stays at 1-2psi or more. Also check to make sure the choke is opening fully.

--Randy

Parking brake off?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Parking brake off?
    Hate it when that happens.

What's burning?? Oh crap, not again. WHO SET THE !#$!#$ PARKING BRAKE!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    Hate it when that happens.

What's burning?? Oh crap, not again. WHO SET THE !#$!#$ PARKING BRAKE!
    Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Last year at the FE at Uwharrie, I took off and then the cab started to fill with smoke and a nice burnt smell. Looked over and saw the lever pulled back......
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

First time I drove the 396 powered M715 to work, I stopped for a taco, got to talking to somebody about the truck and didn't even think about the parking brake since the 230 wouldn't really move with it on and pulled out on the road. Big huge blue cloud behind me had the stomach doing flips since all I could think about was that my new engine had just died.

I think one of our not active members said it best way back in '02 or so. His brake was covered with oil and never held the truck, so he didn't use it. His wife had to move the truck for some reason and applied it. Since he didn't use it, he never checked it. 10 miles down the road the oil finally burned off and "It was like the hand of God came down and stopped me in about 20 feet." He said it worked great from then on too.

Back to D4's problem:

What size air filter and is it clean? What kind of exhaust and is a family of squirrels living in it? Fuel filter as posted above? What about fuel lines, do they feel all squishy and bloated?

Stick to the basics once you figure out the carb and distributor are ok. something else that gets my truck every few thousand miles is the sock in the fuel tank. I can be driving along or as the case was in the mountians of Colorado during the 2008 FE, idling down a steep mountain when I loose pressure and the engine dies. I have learned to pull the fuel line off at the tank and blow air into it. Normally, it will build for a second and then POOOMP blow on through. Hook up the line and drive on. This has happened 4 times in the last 2 years. My tank was cleaned out by a radiator shop 4 years ago.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I assume this motor has electronic ignition?
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Check your fuel filter and also your pump for volume and pressure. If you have a carb on the engine make sure float level is correct. If your distributor has a vacuum advance check it to make sure it holds vacuum and moves the rotor when you apply vacuum to it. Check your mechanical advance under the rotor also for wear. Make sure you are setting your timing correctly eg. disconnect vac line and plug or est wire if its an electronic dist. Do you use a timing lite or set it by ear, sometimes the balancer going bad can allow outer ring to slip with timing marks on it and setting it by a lite will make your timing off. Give some more info on what your engine set up is and I can give you some more ideas.

yes the chevy 350 is a truck avenger carb and electronic ignition i checked the timing and changed the fuel filter and it has a electric fuel pump