Thread: 24v to 12v opinion thread

Default 24v to 12v opinion thread

Ok....here is the deal. This past weekend I brought home my 1st M715. My M715 is missing several key components. The generator, starter, solenoid, voltage regulator, and a couple other things i haven't identified yet (found the connector ends hanging, under the dash..etc)

So with all the above listed missing parts would i be better off just doing a 12v conversion? i have a feeling Sourcing all the original parts is going to get expensive.

My original plan for the truck was to get it running and drive it while I collect parts for a cummings conversion and modern axles with disc brakes. And i planned on doing the body work (building new bumpers and a cage) while I drive it. When i go to do the engine swap I plan on converting everything to 12v.

I already have a Rebel wiring harness (that is set a side for my chopped 51 shoebox ford im building) that i can go ahead and use.

opinions, recommendation, and overall knowledge are welcome and greatly appreciated.

At the risk of sounding like an anal orifice, I tend to be 100% original, stock. Why? Because that is how I drove these trucks over 50 years ago. But more importantly, if you go original, 24 volt, everything in the TM is correct and available.

You asked! If you are patient, maybe all of those parts will become available.

I agree I like stock too Don,all 6 of my trucks remain stock. But if a Cummins is on its way I would think the cheaper way would be 12 volt. I guess the best way would be to price 24 volt vs 12 volt.
    DaveJ

I have vehicles that are 12, some that are 24 and others that are both (CUCV). I like the benefits of the 12/24 system in the CUCV trucks so much that I made my M715 that way. 24 volt starting and 12 volt truck.

No matter the temperature, the 24 volt trucks turn over and start faster than the 12 volt vehicles with the same engine.

What Cummins are you going with? The VE pump trucks can be made to operate off a cable fuel on/off. 24 volt alternators and starters are plentiful for the 12 valve engines. I don't know about the 24 valve units.

Then there is the stock versus modified argument. As the years go by and these trucks get harder to find stock. Stock ones go up in price. Just something to keep in mind.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Mine is 12v, with new wiring, lights, starter, and instruments. The 12v buy-in can be a little daunting, but since you have to start over, that can be minimized. The biggest attraction in a 12v electrical system is, for me, the universality of it: need brighter headlights? Buy them like you would for a standard older vehicle. Want tunes? You get the idea...

24v gave me fits trying to plan & outfit the M43 I was making into a camper decades ago (another driver looking for something on the floor of his car saved me further trouble by hitting me head on), and this was a primary factor in my choice of an M886 as its replacement. Nearly the first thing I did was install the old stereo from my car in it. So easy...

Unless you're looking for strict authenticity or live in a place cold enough to require a faster-turning starter, it's 12v all the way. 24v is little but a torment in everyday, non-historically-accurate usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    I have vehicles that are 12, some that are 24 and others that are both (CUCV). I like the benefits of the 12/24 system in the CUCV trucks so much that I made my M715 that way. 24 volt starting and 12 volt truck.

No matter the temperature, the 24 volt trucks turn over and start faster than the 12 volt vehicles with the same engine.

What Cummins are you going with? The VE pump trucks can be made to operate off a cable fuel on/off. 24 volt alternators and starters are plentiful for the 12 valve engines. I don't know about the 24 valve units.

Then there is the stock versus modified argument. As the years go by and these trucks get harder to find stock. Stock ones go up in price. Just something to keep in mind.
    I plan on running the 12v 5.9 cummings.

I really want it to be a very reliable tow rig. And we plan on using if for some oerlanding and camping adventures, along with some trail rides. I live in South East Tennessee...we have plenty of mountains trails and jeep events in the area.

Just got an M715 turn ignition and nothing happens. I get 24 V to ignition coil.
    Help