Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thirst for Knowledge

The weakest links in the 230 design are...in my opinion...

1. The external oil line on the back of the head to feed the head...its hard to get at to change and does love to leak...replacing with braided stainless line or solid metal...like brake line...is THE way to go.

2. The cam oiling is a bit weird overall...keep the oil CLEAN and problems wont happen there.

3. Exhaust manifolds like to crack...keep the exhaust pipe holders all in good shape and make sure to NEVER overtorque the manifold nuts.

4. Valve cover gaskets like to leak...if replacing one, work slow and careful to get it on and NEVER overtorque it.

5. The ignitor...distributor and coil assembly...is steel on the outside of the shaft and the timing cover it goes into is aluminum...they love to weld together. Take out the unit and clean any corrosion off the shaft and out of the hole...then reassemble with anti-seize compound on the shaft to keep it from doing it. If you need help getting it out because it is frozen, just ask!

6. Rear main seal leaks. You can change it, make sure not to line up the ends of the seal with the horizontal parting line of the block and filler block...that will make it leak more.

7. Oil pan gaskets tend to leak...good news, its easy to drop the pan without having to take other stuff apart.

8. The clutch is a pain to change, the bellhousing is difficult to get off...hopefully you dont have to do it, it is challenging to say the least.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I also forgot to mention that I do not have the stock 230. I swapped in a fully rebuilt 318 with a NP435 transmission.

Yes it’s loud, hot, sorta uncomfortable, but I can’t get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    The biggest problem for the M715...There is a pic here on the Zone from a member who was driving a M715 on the German Autobahn in the late 60's with the needle just buried on the speedo. ...
    He is right, Guilty as charged. My truck in Germany.

But I wouldn't think of doing it to my truck here in Florida. Those 230 Tornado engines were just fine. I love it and have no desire to change to another type.

But that doesn't mean that I do not like what others have done. At 72, I am just a "Stock" guy and strive to keep it as close to original as possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Holey crap that's suicide!!!!!!! Gotta be 90+ !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by teking View Post
    Holey crap that's suicide!!!!!!! Gotta be 90+ !!!!!
    That is a true photo, I took it in 1970 on one of our trips on the autobahn. The truck was a little over a year old, burned a lot of oil but ran great. No "Death Wobble" of the front tires.

Side note, when the tires were worn, the Motor Pool put recaps on it and didn't balance them. Talk about shaking! I "procured" four new Goodyear tires and put them on. Back to driving good again.

Also, I was 22 years old and not as careful as I am today at 72. But I still have an M-715!