Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bit of stock tech and modified tech

Default A bit of stock tech and modified tech

Well I decided what I'm doing with my 715. After looking it over and starting to cut some of the extoskeleton off of it and realizing they welded it to the fenders, I'm building a custom. Now, do these have the gas tanks loctaed in the same spot as a Jtruck? The PO rigged a tank in the bed and that's gotta go. What have you guys done for heat? No heat in this truck, unacceptable. Will CJ switches,gauges and knobs worh for me? Someone already did the 12 volt conversion. Where the hell did the turn signal lever go, if it had one. I could swap in a Grand Wagoneer column. I have two complete GW's already disassembled and have wiring, heater boxes and what not to make this all work. Also, is there a fuse block? There are no fuses in this truck. I'm thinking about swapping in a GW harness especially since I'll be putting in an AMC 360. What about the front axle, keep the closed knuckle or look for an open knuckle. Already has the factory lockers in it, verified.
    Suspension, since no one makes a lift for these, I guess a Jtruck lift will not bolt in. Ben looking around for disc brake conversions, I think all I found is for open knuckle axles. Who makes the one piece wheels for these trucks. I ahve a good knowledge of the civvy J trucks and Grand Waggies, but clueless on these. Also, will civvy window parts work? My doors are gutted, also need to figure out how to modify civvy vent windows to work on these. Is there a frame on top of door window? My priority is to get windows in this truck so if any one has pix that would help. I have 2 sets of civvy doors to hack apart and try all this. Sorry so long but a ton of questions I need answered. Thank you.

Wow, a lot of questions, lol. I'll tackle this the best I can:

Now, do these have the gas tanks located in the same spot as a Jtruck?

Not sure where the Jtruck tanks are, stock 715 tank is under bed, drivers side, forward from the rear axle. Stock filler tube comes out side of
    bed.

What have you guys done for heat?

If you still have the stock heater box and fan, then this is easy. The stock 715 came with a heater core and fan, but its 24 volt. I replaced the stock fan motor with a Chevy 12 volt, replaced the leaking heater core with a new one for a Grand Wagoneer.

Will CJ switches,gauges and knobs work for me?

The stock controls were cable pull knobs on the dash, lower left from the steering wheel. I still have the cables, installed new 3 speed fan switch.

Where the hell did the turn signal lever go, if it had one.

Most 715's did not have turn signals, the ones I have seen with stock turn sig. had the lever mounted to the steering column. This is where I put my aftermarket one.

Also, is there a fuse block?

When I got my 715 it didn't have a fuse block, I put a simple on for now. Will be adding a much better one.

What about the front axle, keep the closed knuckle or look for an open knuckle.

This is a topic of huge debate. There are whole discussions dedicated to the pros and cons of the stock axle. It really boils down to what you plan on using your 715 for, and how much money you plan on spending. And don't ask Tacoma what he thinks about the stock axles, lol.

Already has the factory lockers in it, verified.

The stock closed knuckle D60?? Uh, it did NOT come with any traction aides, open diff. Did you turn the tires to verify, or open the diff up? Might be welded or Detroit.

Suspension, since no one makes a lift for these, I guess a Jtruck lift will not bolt in.

No, short of custom made springs, only thing you can do for lift is spring over.

Ben looking around for disc brake conversions, I think all I found is for open knuckle axles.

There was a kit for this, but I don't know if you can still get them. It also was VERY expensive, like about the price you'd pay for some new axles, lol.

Who makes the one piece wheels for these trucks.

There are a couple various places, Stockton Wheel comes to mind off the top of my head, also Bob Cowan, a member on this board offers these.

Will civvy window parts work?

Uh, I don't beleive so unless you change over to civvy windows and replace the stock stuff with civvy stuff.

Is there a frame on top of door window?

Yeah, stock doors had a frame on top for the square window.

Wow, that was a lot, lol. I hope I helped.

Point by point:

1. The M715 gas tank is a large, squarish deal mounted under the left front of the bed. There is a large filler neck that feeds it, and I hope yours is in ok shape, the enormous hose is somewhat hard to get.

2. For heat you can use stock FSJ stuff, it is a bolt in. Many options for blower motors and whatnot under the dash.

3. CJ stuff can be made to fit w/some creative work, or you can get a dash panel and gauges here.

4. No turn signal, or fuse block. Grand Wagoneer stuff will work, but some dashboard mods are needed to fit the bigger column. It makes sense if you look at it, you'll see what you need to do.

5. Front axle depends on your purposes. Personally, with 3/4t stuff so cheap here I'd throw in a set of 3/4t D44/14bolts, and go go go. It's as strong as teh stock stuff, for the most part, and MUCH cheaper than a Dana 60/14bolt. But it depends on your plans.

6. There were no factory lockers in it, so I'm curious what and how that was 'verified'.... ????

7. Lift kits MAY be available from Rusty's Offroad or BJ's, one of them was supposed to have been working on a 60's FSJ lift. That may be old rumor, call them. Or, you can get some new brackets welded up and run whatever springs you want to do the engineering for. FSJ stuff is easy to work with, since you can take measurements and angles off the stock Jeep and adapt from there. But nothing bolt on unless those 60's kits are out.

8. Helitool/Uglytruckling were/are making them. They are more expensive than the axle swap though. http://uglytruckling.com/

9. Stockton, Diamond, Marsh Racing, Bob Cowan, and various other local places have made one-piece rims for these trucks.

10. Civvy cranks and mechanisms should work, but the windows themselves are obviously way different.

11. No, stock doors did not have a frame. The window pane is framed in the door. When you put the soft top frame on, the soft top frame is what the top of the window pane frame seals against. The vent or 'wing' window has a frame though. Also, civvy doors can be used as replacement 715 doors, with minor mods.

Quote Originally Posted by tacoma View Post
    11. No, stock doors did not have a frame. The window pane is framed in the door. When you put the soft top frame on, the soft top frame is what the top of the window pane frame seals against. The vent or 'wing' window has a frame though. Also, civvy doors can be used as replacement 715 doors, with minor mods.
    Correct me if I don't remember correctly. FSJ doors and hinges will bolt directly onto a M715, but do not open as wide as the stock M715 hinges. I am considering gutting some for a set of trail doors similar to what other members have done.

Yes, that's true.. Hinges are easily swapped out if the originals are decent.

The striker and latch needs to be changed a bit too, FSJguy did an excellent writeup on it but I can never remember the URL.

FSJ doors open pretty wide though, just not to 90*.

Quote Originally Posted by agengr View Post
    Correct me if I don't remember correctly. FSJ doors and hinges will bolt directly onto a M715, but do not open as wide as the stock M715 hinges. I am considering gutting some for a set of trail doors similar to what other members have done.
    older hinges had the same swing. Not sure of the year they changed. I have doors out of a 76 that they were the same

Just to clarify, all the M715s and similar trucks did have turn signals. All used a turn signal switch mounted on the steering column. The old style used something much like the old Jeeps but had an odd relay box mounted on the firewall near the master cylinder with a bunch of wires screwed onto terminals on the front of it. The later style used the same setup that is in the later M35s, HMMWVs, etc. which is all solid state and uses a modern looking switch similar to a semi and a sealed control box mounted on the firewall also. There is no fuse box but the three lever lamp switch has a circuit breaker or two in it. They are not generally serviceable.

Here is the link on the door conversion stuff:

http://bigscaryjeep.com/BigScaryJeep...7;20Doors.html

I think all m715s came with turn signals stock....2 completel different systems, one is a older mechanical type and the other a newer solid state type....both used a turn signal switch that mounted on the column with, basically a hose clamp type piece...each system used its own switch...

On lockers...do you mean lockout hubs on the front axle....like Selectros maybe?
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Yep...no fuse box and a single circuit breaker in the light switch that works for the lighting system only.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

WOW thanks alot guys huge help. Ok front axle "verified" means jacking it up and spinning the wheel. Obviously some one has been in there got a chrome diff cover. I can feel it when i turn to. I guess as far as what I'm doing, direction I'm going is mostly street with some off roading . Here in Jersey it's geting harded to wheel , and as uch as I want to build a killer off road truck, there is no use for it here. Gonna be a daily driver, I work about 6 miled from home. So here is the plan, I guess maybe swap the front axle for something with discs, I have a lot of GW parts laying around so GW wiring harness, what's in there now is plain scary, GW heat, GW steering column, power steering, CJ dash stuff, Aftermarket gauges, rear disc, AMC 360 and hydroboost and probably 38 or 39 inch tires. I have a company by me that makes custom springs so I'll to give them a call. I HAVE to do something with these side windows. Can any one provide closeup pix of hardtop window frames? I amy eventually go for the soft top but for now I will run with what's on there. That ought to keep me busy for a while. What about wiper motors? Should I use stock or find something aftermarket that works? The body has been modified so much with crap welded to it there is no use trying to restore it. I would love to have a full on military rig but that would require another truck.