Thread: popularity of contract maintence body

Default popularity of contract maintence body

Scored a 1968 maintenance truck with winch. Wondering if it would be more valuable as is or should I put a regular M715 pickup box in place of the utility box?

Quote Originally Posted by hardmission View Post
    Scored a 1968 maintenance truck with winch. Wondering if it would be more valuable as is or should I put a regular M715 pickup box in place of the utility box?
    Kinda like a personal choice. I am biased since I drove the M715 when I was in the army so you know where I stand. But the maintenance truck may be a little more rare (to use an eBay cliché that is worn to the bone ).

I guess this didn't help you much. As in "Risky Business" when his dad told him, "Joel, just use your best judgement".

I hear you. I remember the day the M715s hit the motorpool brand new. The lifers were leaning on the fenders looking at the engine. My personal truck was a M35 with a shop van and 60 KW gen set. I was the guy that fixed the gas fired vehicle heaters. I was real popular when it was -60 degrees.

I like the maintenance trucks as they are. If the welder is shot you could easily replace it with a modern unit that is engine driven.

If you decide to pull the box off, let me know because I could use some parts from it.

This box has no welder. The long side doors swing down and there is no top cover. It looks like a oxy/act outfit might fit in the front box.

That's the telephone truck. M726.

Still if you do decide to remove it, I would be interested.

The data plate should show it as a M726. Or maybe a PO installed a civvy maintenance box. Hard to tell without pictures.

The M726 box bed had a square-pattern instead of more common diamond-pattern.

What he said above. The M726 box is lower than the cab and is made from steel. The M724 body is higher than the cab and is made from aluminum.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

Okay, will look at the data plate.

As to the value to the general collector/user, the standard M715 has more value and use. The maintenance trucks M724 and M726 have less practical use, but are definitely rarer. Rarer, in this case, doesn't mean more value.

You wouldn't be the first to put a regular bed on one. Don't scrap the other bed, as it has value to us who have one of these trucks and need spare stuff.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13