Thread: Exhaust Pipe Direction ??

Default Exhaust Pipe Direction ??

I am attempting to install the exhaust, I have the front header pipe on, the pipe pictured is the second pipe, between the header pipe and muffler. Either way has issues so I would like to confirm the correct orientation. The left "B" end has a longer straight section and the right "A" side has a double bend in it. The two front pipes are NOS but do not seem to be fitting correctly.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by m38inmaine View Post
    I am attempting to install the exhaust, I have the front header pipe on, the pipe pictured is the second pipe, between the header pipe and muffler. Either way has issues so I would like to confirm the correct orientation. The left "B" end has a longer straight section and the right "A" side has a double bend in it. The two front pipes are NOS but do not seem to be fitting correctly.

Thanks
    The longer straight side goes to the 1st pipe from the manifold. The shorter side bolts to the muffler and kicks the muffler up on a bit of an angle. I'll have to see if I can grab some photos tomorrow before I head to work. The pic from the TM doesn't do a good job showing the angles but should help you orient it.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Thank you, yes the manual does not show all the bends in the pipe. The pictures are no longer working from the stock exhaust reference post.

Stock Exhaust Photo Reference
    Last edited by m38inmaine; January 6th, 2021 at 07:03 AM.

Thank you, yes the manual does not show all the bends in the pipe. The pictures are no longer working from the stock exhaust reference post.

Stock Exhaust Photo Reference
    Sorry, I didn't have time to stop down at the shop garage this morning and take pics, I'll try and grab them tonight when I get home.
    Dave

No problem, I now have it assembled, appreciate the help.

No problem, I now have it assembled, appreciate the help.
    Glad you got it sorted out!
    Dave

Glad that you got it figured out.
    I remember going through this myself with the second pipe.

Yea, a lot of head scratching while crawling back and forth under there.

One of the problems is that the clamp from the rear engine mount has no vertical adjustment. When I install an exhaust I don't like to have any tension on it. So I cut the bracket vertically in half, installed the two sides then marked them, removed and welded it back, now the pipe has no tension on it and is in the correct position. The other issue was the rear most cable hanger bracket on top of the frame. In order to get the correct angle and tension I had to remove it and drill another hole outboard so when mounted it was more toward the muffler. With these two mods the exhaust is all stock and in the correct position. I spent almost 2 days trying to get it to fit, I was tempted several times to change the hanger system but glad now I kept it original. I can't seem to get the lighting correct for pictures but Ill work on it, thanks for the help, it's tough when I never had any exhaust to go by.