Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 230 Leaking oil at head/block

Prepped the block by lightly sanding the surface with 150 emery cloth, also cleaned the thread holes with a 1/2-13 bottom tap and clean off any old gasket material from the timing cover. The gasket was missing from the RH side of mine, another source for the oil leak.

I cut the top of the timing cover gasket to match what is exposed with the head removed, glued them on the timing cover with some black rtv and let it sit for a day. I sprayed the new gasket with copper spray as per the instructions from the gasket company and let it dry for 10 minutes or so. I applied rtv to the end of the head that will mate with the timing gasket and a small amount at the intersection of the block and timing cover. I lowered the head so it was just above the block, slid the head gasket in then installed the two alignment bolts, be careful and try not to disturb the rtv on the end of the head as its a very close tolerance. Lowered the head on to the block then started the 4 bolts that go in to the end of the head through the timing cover, just finger tight. Inserted the head bolts and just snugged them down then torqued in sequence to 90ftlb. now you can finish tighten the 4 timing cover bolts. The cam timing gear slid right back in place, never moved a bit, torque to 40ftlb. Will finish up the external connections tonight and test run.

Initial short test run(no coolant)no leaks that I can see yet. Drove it for about half hour, all looks good so far, time to move on back to the restoration thread.
    Last edited by m38inmaine; January 29th, 2021 at 06:40 PM.