Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering Questions / Which box & pump to use?

Default Power Steering Questions / Which box & pump to use?

Hey Guys.......I desperately need to make the conversion to power steering. What is the best & easiest way to go. From reading previous post's and magazine articles......it looks like a unit from a FSJ or 73-87 Chevy pickup will work with minor modifications. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? On a scale of 1-10 ( 10 being / better off to hire it done) how difficult is this conversion? What can I expect to have to pay for a complete unit out of a salvage yard?

My local salvage yard wanted $200 for the pump and steering box, along with the hoses. I think that's nuts.

The steering boxes you listed will work, bolting right on with three of the 4 possible bolt locations. It is advisable to use the 4th, which means drilling a hole through the frame and tacking a sleeve in (so the sides of the frame won't collapse). Fisherman has some great shots of this procedure. You can get away with the three mounting points though.

The pitman arm is another thing you need. A late-model FSJ is supposed to fit, but I'm not sure. Compexp, or others, will surely pop in with what they know of this.

I can't wait to get power steering in mine too!
    -- Tim Taylor

Tim .......is it a bear to get that 4th hole drilled with the motor in? I have a small block chevy in the truck. Does the rod coming from the steering column to the box need to be modified at all?

It would help to pull the driver's fender off for access. After pulling Mike's parts truck apart, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the fender off for the access it would afford.

As I haven't done the swap yet myself, I'm not sure what you need to do, if anything, to the steering shaft. I think the existing rag joint mounts right up to it. Anyone?

Have you tried a search for "power steering" yet? Probably all you need to know is there already.
    Last edited by Binford; January 7th, 2008 at 10:43 PM.
    -- Tim Taylor

Here's what FNG did:

Hope he doesn't see this and start to cry or something.
    -- Tim Taylor

Chevy truck box will be a 1000000 on your scale. It's entirely different. You need a GM car box, same as FSJ and a bunch others.

Chris

Lucky Pabst...........So your oppinion is to stay away from the Chevy truck box and use a FSJ?........or a unit off of an older Chevy car?.......Thanks for the Pic.....Tim......

The M715 has the box mounted to the inside of the frame.

The FSJ's and Chevy car have the box mounted inside the frame and actually use the same box.

The M715 has the same mounting location for its box that the FSJ's have for their power steering box...3 of the 4 mounting holes for the FSJ/Chevy car box ARE the mount holes the M715's manual box is already using.

Chevy truck boxes mount OUTSIDE the frame...

Good info. I am looking into doing this same swap along with my engine swap.
    1967 M715
    2010 SVT Raptor

Brute........thanks for the info.............I believe I will call around for a FSJ....box and pump.........