Thread: modified fuel tank -for centered rear diff

Default modified fuel tank -for centered rear diff

Gents...

I came across a 2008 Ram 2500 11.5AAM rear axle and wouldnt you know its a great candidate for swapping in the rear of our trucks. 72" WMS 8x6.5 and tons of support. I plan on pairing it with a 2005+ F250 dana 60 front later on that I will need to convert to 8x6.5.... Anyways because Im running a centered rear diff I dont have enough clearance to use the factory fuel tank. Has anyone here re-made the tank in different dimensions to resolve this issue? I know some guys have taken advantage of the open space where the spare tire would live but I want something that utilizes the factory fuel filler in the factory location...

A few photos

Tank photos....

Shackle flip and 3/4” blocks on the stock perches. NP205 bolted to an SM465 up front. That’s a 3.5” dia 1410 series shaft and the stock tank in the stock location. I’d be worried for hard core off-roading, but not for the mall crawling I’ll be doing. At most it looks like if I bashed in the lip on the tank a little there’s no chance it would ever make contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just measured and my yoke is offset about an inch to the passenger side. It’s an early 2000’s Dodge 14 bolt disc brake. I think that’s technically the same as yours? Not 100% on that tho.

If you drop a ruler down from the edge of the tank it hits the edge of the yoke or driveshaft.

I love your build! Thanks for sharing -I need to figure out how to make the big photos pop up on the page like you. The 14 bolt is similar but the 11.5 is bigger -4" axle tubes, 11.5" ring gear ect. I definitely dont have as much clearance as you. My fuel tank is full of rust so Im just gonna have another made -I found a local guy to do it yesterday. Im gonna make a cardboard tank to check for clearance. The leaf springs are so stiff without load in them its hard to flex the rear axle on the bump stop.

I thought about making a new tank too. If I ever did, I think I’d just take about 6” off the depth for tons of clearance to the driveshaft, but then make it twice as wide to run the whole width of the bed and just move one strap over. Seems like the easiest way.

I just upload pics from my phone. I’m not sure what I’m doing to make them big, lol.