Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical brake light upgrade

Default Mechanical brake light upgrade

Im wanting to upgrade the factory hydraulic brake light switch to a mechanical switch. I bought a Ron Francis waterproof brake light switch that came with a small 90 degree bracket. It's a push button type switch. I spent several minutes under there trying to see how/where it could install it (and I'm able to fab up any type of bracket/hanger that I can dream up) but I just don't see any way or place to mount this in the cab so it works with the brake pedal. If it helps, this is being done at the same time I'm doing a power booster and dual circ. MC upgrade with the factory drum brakes and new lines, cyls, shoes, etc.

I think I might have better luck with a spring type mechanical brake light switch that can be mounted between something solid under the dash and the brake pedal. Any advice out ther on the type or model # of mechanical brake light switch that folks have installed on the brake pedal.
    If possible, pics of your install would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Bryce
    Last edited by brycer1968; October 24th, 2016 at 10:45 AM.
    1969 M725 ambulance

I have to do the same thing on the truck I am building for Sermis. I had in my head that I could tie into the little bracket the pedal travel screw goes into.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Yes, I looked at that area too. Its a hard area to get into to see and design something that will fit. Are you thinking of the push-button type switch like I bought or the spring type that you link between a solid point and the pedal.

I know there are likely 10 ways to install that switch, I'm just looking for someone that has done it and may be able to save me some time and mis-steps.

Bryce
    1969 M725 ambulance

My truck has a mechanical switch on it. I'll try to remember to take some pics this evening... try to get the mounting clear.
    I have seen that switch in MV parts catalogs, don't know what it was originally intended for.

I haven't plumbed up my hydroboost yet but... benefit of mechanical switch vs. the hydraulic?
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    I haven't plumbed up my hydroboost yet but... benefit of mechanical switch vs. the hydraulic?
    You don't have to have working brakes to have brake lights? *shrug*

One of the previous owners installed the one on my truck. The hydraulic switch is still in but not hooked up. Probably a matter of parts availability for them. I don't prefer one over the other, just one that works.

I would think a hydraulic switch would be more durable...?

Honestly the only benefits I can see of a mechanical switch is they are easier to test to see if they are good and are easier to get to.
    But I'm not a real mechanic, I just play one in my imagination.

I don't have a photo, but in both my trucks I have a microswitch mounted via a bracket on the steering column, with the arm touching the brake pedal, wired as normally open.

Default Re

I hadn't considered a micro switch. That would certainly open up more options for mounting places.
    Bryce
    1969 M725 ambulance

I've been trying to find the pictures of my last truck. I used the brake switch from a 1976 CJ7. I built a bracket for it and welded it to the steering column. It was simple and worked quite well.