Thread: What's the Latest on YJ vs Wild Horse Windshield Wipers?

Default What's the Latest on YJ vs Wild Horse Windshield Wipers?

My truck is in Wyoming, at a friend's shop where I can do the welding necessary to fill the stock wiper shaft holes in the windshield header and finally install electric wipers after three years of Rain-X and rainwater in the face.

I've researched old threads, and would like to know impressions from anyone who might be using one of these options (my chances don't seem real good because I don't see any of the people who posted in those threads around here anymore).

If there are other options with similar durability (I won't be using the eBay Asian wiper motors I read about, for example), affordability, and availability, I'd love to hear about those also.

Thank you.

Blog Entries

Me too!

When I bought my M715, it came with nice looking individual wiper motors that the owner said were early bronco. They look very nice and I intend to use them. My CJ also has upper wipers. I found some high quality marine wipers that self park. The cheap asian (chinese) garbage has no place on any rig. Anything made in Japan I will take any day. They make stuff with pride and it shows. There's my 1.5 cents worth.

Marine wipers got me thinking. I'd like a self-park feature, and the WH kit doesn't seem to include that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    Marine wipers got me thinking. I'd like a self-park feature, and the WH kit doesn't seem to include that.
    Mine self-park. They're just not synchronized.

IMHO, having had them for years now...ehh. I'd get the cheaper same thing from the tractor/boat/ebay sources. WH are expensive. They work as well as anything else on the old truck does. What I mean is, for 1967 wipers they're fine. Not the equivalent of even my 1995 Grand Cherokee's wipers.

The motors do not sweep as many degrees as the specs/instructions say they should. I get about 90* when the gearbox is set to 110* (see pic).

The arms seem much less spring-loaded than modern wipers.

They DO still work after a number of years, as opposed to the junk China pod wipers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post
    Mine self-park. They're just not synchronized.

IMHO, having had them for years now...ehh. I'd get the cheaper same thing from the tractor/boat/ebay sources. WH are expensive. They work as well as anything else on the old truck does. What I mean is, for 1967 wipers they're fine. Not the equivalent of even my 1995 Grand Cherokee's wipers.

The motors do not sweep as many degrees as the specs/instructions say they should. I get about 90* when the gearbox is set to 110* (see pic).

The arms seem much less spring-loaded than modern wipers.

They DO still work after a number of years, as opposed to the junk China pod wipers.
    Thank you very much for the info.

What kind of switch are you using?

I'm using the rotary switch that comes from WH, and I don't recommend it. While it works, and seems of good quality, I'm always guessing at its' position. A toggle would be much easier.

A guy in this thread

Windshield wiper conversion Version 2.0

posted a schematic for using a toggle. When I get around to fixing something that isn't broken, I'll try it.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post
    I'm using the rotary switch that comes from WH, and I don't recommend it. While it works, and seems of good quality, I'm always guessing at its' position. A toggle would be much easier.

A guy in this thread

Windshield wiper conversion Version 2.0

posted a schematic for using a toggle. When I get around to fixing something that isn't broken, I'll try it.

Excellent-- thank you again.

Those marine wiper units aren't cheap: $80/ea. minimum, IIRC.