Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: found one

so, i will dig this up again.

after the trip up the mountain, all of my friends told me that i was really gassy. i knew the thing was running really rich but after doing some investigation, it seems worse than i thought. it will paint a car next to the exaust black in no time and smokes(black like a diesel) when you goose it with no load. all this has led to gas smelling oil and me being concerned about wiping the mains and rods if i was driving it alot. not to mention it gets horrible mileage. so i found a solution today i hope

67 #18820 mostly stock...

For the lesser-informed people trying to learn, what is that component you've displayed in the photograph? I often paint the side of my barn black, when I start my 350, and it was a new motor. It's not consistent, but just during initial start-up and cold idle. I assumed that it had a lot to do with the manual choke engagement, and the carb mixture being out of balance during cold weather start-ups.

More educated folks have never thoroughly explained this to me, but simply indicated that it is normal. I don't have a lot of experience with eight cylinder gasoline engines, so I've never debated the issue. I've resided myself to park in different spots alongside the barn, and utilize each start-up as a form of barn siding wood preservative.

looks like an animal cage or maybe a shopping cart.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Ryan, you'll thank yourself a million and one times for doing that conversion. Especially on those side-hills and steep climbs.....
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by MarknessMonster View Post
    For the lesser-informed people trying to learn, what is that component you've displayed in the photograph? I often paint the side of my barn black, when I start my 350, and it was a new motor. It's not consistent, but just during initial start-up and cold idle. I assumed that it had a lot to do with the manual choke engagement, and the carb mixture being out of balance during cold weather start-ups.

More educated folks have never thoroughly explained this to me, but simply indicated that it is normal. I don't have a lot of experience with eight cylinder gasoline engines, so I've never debated the issue. I've resided myself to park in different spots alongside the barn, and utilize each start-up as a form of barn siding wood preservative.
    that is a brain box or ECM, wiring harness and throttle body for a 454. i also go the TB spacer tossed in for free. basically it is the big parts of a late 80s/early 90s fuel injection system for a big block.

if you truck doesnt run to rich when warm it is probably fine. if it is a little smoky with the choke engaged or when it is pretty cool that is not to much to be concerned for. mine was way rich when it was warmed up and driving at normal engine speeds. as opposed to tune the carb for a narrow altitude range i decided to go one step more modern.

Kwai, that is a box for my brother in laws german short hair when they visit.

Randy, i am really looking forward to this. i actually think it will pick up some of that power i was lacking now since it wont be running so blessed rich.

Ryan

this was a great read

I agree, Fuel cost does not exceed the pleasure of owning and driving a real piece of history. The memories are priceless!
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

glad you guys enjoyed my extendo thread.

i collected a few more FI parts this weekend. a trip to the local scrapper netted me a new style remote coil non vacuum HEI and the TPS plug i needed for my harness. later this week i will swing by the yard and grab a few more odds and ends like TB mounting bolts and the air cleaner studs. might grab a knock sensor too. i may go ahead and keep that sensor function.

my buddy Drew went with me and afterwards we swung by his house and located all of his spare parts from when his old burb was still TBI. he had a coil, map sensor and ESTC. he also had an O2S bung, TB to carb intake adapter, and a one of the fittings need to adapt the TB fuel ports to AN -6. i ordered my heated O2S and the CTS from napa. so sometime next week i will have all of the major components with the exception of the HP fuel pump. i will have to order that and the neccesary plumbing sometime.
    hopefull next week i can start figuring out the ecm mounts and routing wires etc.

after its all in i will know if i need a custom tune. i will likely have a PROM burned either way.

Ryan

so havent updated this in a while, but there hasn't been a lot to say. we have been pretty busy at work, and finding the time to get stuff done was challenging.

i took my time and ran the wires well, so the required parts of the GM harness are in the truck and the computer is mounted underneath the glovebox on the firewall. i also used a fused junction box to add enough fused circuits to the truck to run the hot and keyed hot 12v inputs to the ECM and the heat cicuit for the O2S and the fuel pump. i also ordered a bunch of stuff from summit 3 different times. of course the fuel filter i wanted is on BO till monday. after that arrives i can finish redoing my fuel lines and then hopefully next weekend i can spent swapping the Dist. and TB on to my motor and try to fire it up.
    Ryan

wow, loved the thread. great read.
    I really wish I had the skills and tools to do work like that.

As it is, I'm still paying for the custom work I had done to my wrangler.

When I get my hands on a M715, I think you have motivated me to do most of the work myself.