Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: found one

Markness, it is an 86 454 NV4500 and k30 axles with 4.56:1 gears. i think my biggest issue is the year that my engine was produced. it is stock minus all of the smog stuff, but it is one of the lowest power outputs ever offered from GM in the 454. i am thinking a cam/intake will help me out a bit. the rain was nice, but it kind of put a damper on my drive home. i waited out the brunt of the storm before i left for my 28 mile drive home. i still haven't hooked up the vacuum to the wipers so it would have been manual wipers and that didn't seem like fun. my boss thought it was funny though.

Kwai hit the nail on the head. cds are old school, but it is technology i can understand and operate well. we have an ipod, but it is to much of a hassle for me to upload download... whatever. plus most of my listening is to NPR or one of the local country radio stations. i like to use the drive time as my chance to keep up on the news.

Tim, i don't think i ever rode in your truck at the FE, but i do remember you saying it was difficult at best to hear the radio. i may be singing a different tune if i install a radio, but i think my truck is quiet enough to manage. i dont have alot of geartrain noise and my exuast dumps far enough away and is queit enough that it is actually pretty quiet. the tire hum is the worst part of the noise.

BBM715, i agree with your thinking. solving for A seems to be the best solution. with only 100 or so miles of seat time to base my feelings on i can't be for sure but it just seems like more power is a good solution. it will do pretty good in 5th, but with a factory rating of something like 280 HP and im guessing around 350ftlbs if that, it is just less than i am used to in my other 454 trucks. for now it will do fine though.

drove it again today. no issues yet except the napa fuel level guage seems to have crapped out on me. so i stopped to order a replacement and ran into a guy who had recently purchased an M109. it was kind of cool to have the two green machines parked next to one another.

ryan
    67 #18820 mostly stock...

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
    no issues yet except the napa fuel level guage seems to have crapped out on me. so i stopped to order a replacement and ran into a guy who had recently purchased an M109. it was kind of cool to have the two green machines parked next to one another.

ryan
    Mine did the same thing after about a week. You may end up pulling the sending unit. Seems the Chineeze plastic insulator on the top of the sender lets the stud pull through and lose contact on those units. Thats the second one I had do that in two different vehicles.

I just replaced all the plasticy junk with a couple of fiber washers and it took care of it permanently and on the spot. Worst part was dropping the tank.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

thats not the kind of thing i want to hear Randy... i just bought some tube and i would rather start building a cage as opposed to dropping the fuel tank.

Ryan

brackets hold the troop seats up out of the way and become part of the side boards

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
    thats not the kind of thing i want to hear Randy... i just bought some tube and i would rather start building a cage as opposed to dropping the fuel tank.

Ryan
    At least those tanks aren't so hard to remove. Just drain it if you can.

The best thing to do first though, is to try to ground the wire to the sender and see if the gauge registers "Full". If so, there is a fairly good chance that its OK and the sender is the problem. You can just get at the wire without dropping the tank too, so that may help. At least eliminate one or the other.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I mounted a reciever from an 06 tacoma underneath the drivers seat. I can adjust the volume and change songs while driving, i just reach my hand down and change it. I can hear music just fine all the way through the gears. I also have an ipod adapter for the taco head unit so i have ipod/cd capabilities.
    I just did a new sending unit/ gauge and its not working, the ohm reading is off the scale. The gauge reads empty but im getting 21ohms. if its 240 empty and 33 full shouldnt the gauge be reading full?
    -SuPaFrEaK-

does the guage match the sender? it is possible that they packaged them incorrectly?

i picked up some DOM for the cage today. got ~ 65' of 1 3/4" and 20'+ of 1 1/2" both .120" wall. hopefully i can start on that project sometime next week
    Ryan

now to prove i wasn't lieing about the DOM.

been working on it slowly. finally made a plan for the seat mounts and that will happen soon hopefully then maybe i can start driving it again.
    Ryan

do you have enough room to reach the dimmer switch with the bar there?

it is tight, but i can reach it. have to snake around the tube and the clutch and that is kind of hard with size 13 workboots, but doable
    Ryan