Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: found one

thanks

the actual lever part of the shifter is .750" .156" wall tubing. its way overkill for its job, but it we are out of .625" .120" wall and this stuff was as close to .375" ID as we had, and i was being lazy and didn't want to turn a bolthead down to make the threads.
    Ryan

didn't really do much, but for the first time since may when i took it apart the front clip is all back on the truck. so i snapped a few pics since it looks like a truck again. i wanted the hood on so if it has to go outside it will be sort of protected from the winter weather.

hood clears everything. there is easily 3-4 inches between the hood and air cleaner. the PS resevior is about an inch away. i am excited that it all clears since i built everything with a mock up block

Ryan

man i had to dig deep to find this thread

so, christmas is finally over, the traveling is finished and i finally got a chance to work on the old turd again.

i had a friend pick up the steering arm at high country machne in Montrose Co over the holiday, and since no steering is hard to deal with that was first on the list.

you can see the drag link runs a little forward, but not much.

the truck is setting on its own weight, so this is the geometry. i am very pleased by it

i also got a radiator, and some other odds and ends while i was home. ihad a set of headers for the old 72, and they look like they wil fit very nicely. i had forgotten they were in the shed at dads, brand new Hookers. should be able to order the wiring harness soon
    Ryan

spent some time in the last few days trying to make the radiator fit.

this is what i am making fit. it came from a 77 chevy 3/4 with a 454. should be adequate for my 454.

had to remake the body mounts because the old ones were cramoing my style

this is the core support after i worked it over with a sawzall

another look

the radiator was much wider than the stocker and a little taller. so i had to make room for it

the hood clears. barely.

i am gonna have to figure out how to make the turn signals work now

Last edited by ryanroo; January 3rd, 2009 at 07:27 PM.

the clutch on the 7 blade clutch fan has .75-1" of room. i wouldn't mind seeing more, but for what i am working with i am ok with it

i also grabbed the fan shroud from that same 77 3/4 ton and it looks like it will fit after i trim a little off of each fan blade. that is nice, since i wasn't looking forward to making a shroud.

the air line from the compressor to the shop was freezing up so i couldn't run the plasma. next time i get the chance i will be plating those giant holes in the frame back in
    ryan
    Last edited by ryanroo; January 3rd, 2009 at 07:28 PM.

You sure that big a radiator is needed? What are you gonna do about he frame rails and the PS box mount?

I know the space is less than optimum for a big radiator...seems like a radical approach...

That's what you'd call "commitment" dude! You're really going after it. You will have one sweet rig when it's all said and done.
    -- Tim Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    You sure that big a radiator is needed? What are you gonna do about he frame rails and the PS box mount?

I know the space is less than optimum for a big radiator...seems like a radical approach...
    i guess you could call it radical. is the radiator of that size needed? maybe not, but chevy deemed it neccesary to cool a 454 in a 3/4 ton truck, so i think that it is neccesary. i absolutely hate having to worry about overheating, and since i plan on using and working this truck in addition to playing with it, i would rather the engine never overheat.

the frame rails, including the steering box mount will be plated back in. i will lose very little structurally after it is done.
    ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    That's what you'd call "commitment" dude! You're really going after it. You will have one sweet rig when it's all said and done.
    that what i said after the first cut. "i guess i am commited now" hopefully everything will work well when its done.
    ryan

I like the "stance" of your build; it's not too high. I think those mock-up wheels and tires are about perfect, as they don't stick out past the fenders and the height looks just right.

When you're all done with that truck, how would you like another one to work on?