Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NP200 heat idea....

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Default NP200 heat idea....

I had a thought, and wonder if anyone has any input on it?

The stock NP200 has heat issues and that's not new news. What about just installing a cooler that has no pump?

The reason I suggest this, is that many old cooling systems of years ago didn't have a pump either. International Tractors of years ago, relied on the hot water displacing the cooler water in the radiator for cooling the engine. It wasn't the most efficient system, but it did work.

Could the same thing work with gear oil? Maybe the thinner synthetic?

Any cooling couldn't be a bad thing.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

2 thoughts:

1. The heat is a symptom...solve the problem that is causing it instead of putting a complex bandaid on it makes more sense...which leads me to...

2. A used NP205 can be had for $100-$150...put that in, heat issue and noise both solved...also through drive case from the factory.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I agree with all the above, I am all for newer and better tech, but still may try it and see what happens. The longer I don't have to heft my NP200 out to replace it, the better for my back...
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I and your doctor would agree with that part!!

Default np 200 heat issue

In the 60's for nascar they used to drive a rear axle coolant pump off the drive shaft. It pumped the lube to a cooler and back to the axle. A pulley was actually welded or machined into the drive shaft and then a belt drove the pump. A possible solution to circulating the lube for the np200. my .02

ghanaguy

By the time you buy a pump...they arent cheap for one that can pump gear oil, lines, fittings, cooler, possibly a cut off switch for cold weather and other misc stuff like mounts and such you WILL have much more invested than an NP205 costs and you will have a much more complicated system with much more to go wrong off road when a branch grabs a hose or whatever....it just seems like throwing money at a problem to invent an expensive fix when a cheaper and better alternative is already out there.

Default the np200 heat thing

Yeah,
    It makes more sense to eliminate the possibility of things following Mr. Murphy. What about fitting the 205 into the hole; the proper position? Is it close to a direct fit? Have to swap u-joints? I don't have a clue and didn't bother to check previous threads/tech stuff.

ghanaguy

A NP205 is not a direct bolt in. The mounts are different. But, if you get a 10 spline 205, the input and front output yokes will swap out perfectly. The rear will also swap, but the e-brake won't work unless you do a little machine work.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I built an air scoop and attached it to the cross members under the transfer case. you couldnt wheel or rock crawl with it on but around town and occasionally on the highway it helps. transfer case hasnt blown up yet. obviously running a better case it the best solution and that is my future plan but for now my method above cant hurt might help.

Just thinking, what if you welded up a set of steel fan blades that attached to the jackshaft? Porsche does it to help circulate air to aomenof next there motors... just mind fabricating ��