Thread: Power steering pump??

Default Power steering pump??

Gents,
    I am looking at needing a new power steering pump for the truck. The engine is a Chevy 427 BB. Will any power steering pump will do that belongs to a chevy 4x4? I know this maybe a dumb question, The belts ripped off 2 days ago and trying to get a new belt on after playing with the pump, I noticed this puddle of oil and a drip from the case of the steering pump. I am leaving in 3 wks for the sand box (Iraq), I can't leave this thing not running for the family. Your is appreciated is in crunch time for me, with everything else that has to be done!

Thanks,
    Dave

I'm pretty sure any power steering pump from any Chevy truck would work fine. Heck, most of the steering boxes are the same on those trucks! But any old pump ought to do you fine.

Thank you for your service, and please watch yourself over there, man....
    -- Tim Taylor

Most of the pumps are the same, for many years, however there were some changes in fittings and relief valves. If you go to hook up the hoses and the fittings don't match up, change out the fitting on the pump, using the one from your old pump. That should get you fixed up. Keep your head down and your spirits up. Take care and THANK YOU for your service!!

Nothing I can add to the tech information already given, it's pretty straight forward. Just wanted to say THANK YOU for your service and will keep you in my prayers for a safe return.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Look closely to see where the leak is. There is an o-ring around the pump where it fits into the reservoir and the relief valve also has an o-ring on it. The retaining bolts also have square cut o-rings that go between the reservoir and the pump inside. All that stuff is serviceable without replacing the pump. If it is the front shaft seal, a reman pump is in order, but they are pretty cheap at 20 bucks or so. Sometimes the bottom of the reservoir will rust through right on the crimp flange at the front bottom edge. I've brazed them in a pinch.

Any GM pump will most likely fit from the late 60's to the early 80's. The main differences, as mentioned aboove are the pressure hose fitting, which can be changed from pump to pump, and the return line direction.

I like the mid 70's Monte Carlo/Camaro pumps because they have the threaded pump shaft and don't require a puller to get the pulley off, or a press to install it.

Thanks guys, The fitting you were talking about is the major problem that was seen by the guys at the parts department. Put on on order, and will be int Monday. The one I got gas the threaded shaft, which I am getting a 1969 Chevy Corvette, with the 7.0L engine, about $80 refabed. Thanks guys!

Dave