Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: axle question

Default axle question

Hey...

I'm redoing my 715, I got a th400, NP241, front DANA 44, and for the rear axle i have 2 options.... a Dana 44 or a 14 Bolt... wich one would u recomend???

Thanks...

Alex

ups... for the rear i got a Dana 60 not a 44 or a 14 bolt... any suggestions??

D60 is lighter/smaller 14 is brute strong and HEAVY and parts are cheap for it.
    What are your plans for the truck? Heavy hauler with big inch motor - Corp. 14, Daily driver/moderate off roader? D60
    Are they the same gear ratio? Main concern is if one has a 4.10:1 or higher R&P and you want to run 4.56:1 & lower you would have to buy a new carrier. More $$

Agreed, it all depends on what you are going to do with it and exactly what you have. If the 14 bolt is a full floater, it's near bullet proof. The D60 us a great axle also, a little lighter and almost as strong as the 14 bolt. You could run either and be happy, but like BBM715 said, it depends on what you want and what gears the axles have. The price difference between the D60 and 14B for lockers and gears can be substantial also.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

Thanks a lot guys...
    I think i´m gona stay with the 14B, as i want to use it for rock crawling and heavy off road... i´m going to get a detroit locker for it with 4.56:1 ratio... and the OX Locker for the front axle... what u think??? i´m running a chevy 6 cil 292... but i think i´m gona swap for a chevy 350....
    any sugestions...???

You will not have any problems with that rear end. A good friend of mine ran a 14bolt with 4.56 gears, welded with 44 inch boggers and a bored 454 with a SM465. He had more than his share of dropping the clutch at 5k. and never had a problem. You most likely will break that front end depending on how you wheel, what tire size and if you go to a SBC. I don't think you would have enough out of the chevy 6 to hurt much. You would probably be ok with 35/36 inch tires but if you plan on 38/40 inch tires and "heavy offroading" i would look for a stronger front end. The dodge Dana 60's are cheaper than the chevy's due to knuckle strength and i beleive axle splines? Someone may correct me on that. But like most things, it all depends on how you wheel it and what you want to do with it. The skinny pedal breaks alot of parts.

You are right... i think the engine swap is a must at this point... and i think i am going to run that dana 44 till it gives..... i am going to run 37 inch tires so i ll see how long does it takes for that front axle to break...

thanks a lot for your advice... i really appreciated

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by gun512 View Post
    The skinny pedal breaks alot of parts.
    Well put! I have seen nearly every combination break in the right circumstances.

I personally have wheeled an '89 Bronco II very hard with its stock 7.5 rear and Dana 20 TTB up front. I was told that it wouldn't last a week on the trail, but I figured I'd upgrade when needed. So far I haven't needed to after 3 years. Sure, I have broken a couple of u-joints, but beyond that, never any major stuff. A little finesse goes a long way......

I would suggest leaving the front 44 alone, as in not put in the locker for the time being, see how it holds up. Personally I would run it that way until I found a 60 for the front, and then do the front locker at that time, rather than spend the money on the locker, then break that axle and end up doing the swap and need to spring for another locker also. I have the stock axles in mine, with stock gears, detroit in the back on 36" swampers, . have never needed a locker in the front,. . including a jaunt through the rubicon, . .these things have enough weight and flex to keep the tires down pretty well. . .btw, I also have a 292, ...it will get liberated from the engine compartment next summer. . ..

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by moosejr View Post
    I would suggest leaving the front 44 alone, as in not put in the locker for the time being, see how it holds up. Personally I would run it that way until I found a 60 for the front, and then do the front locker at that time, rather than spend the money on the locker, then break that axle and end up doing the swap and need to spring for another locker also. I have the stock axles in mine, with stock gears, detroit in the back on 36" swampers, . have never needed a locker in the front,. . including a jaunt through the rubicon, . .these things have enough weight and flex to keep the tires down pretty well. . .btw, I also have a 292, ...it will get liberated from the engine compartment next summer. . ..
    Front lockers are great in some situations, but unless you are doing a lot of rock crawling, you probably won't need one that often. They can help get a leg up on the rocks sometimes when you have all four wheels pulling.

I think I'd save the $$$ too until you did the 60 up front.