Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: foodstamp's incredible, never-ending multi-topic thread

the chevy tranny that i picked up is a munsie (sp) 4 speed with granny low and a 205 t-case. the people i talked to said it looked like a 208, but this is gear driven, and their kinda dumb. so im guessing 205.

the motor thats going in this truck is a old detroit diesel, and if i dont end up with one of those im going to use a old 6.2 chevy diesel

i gust dont know which tranny to use, and what would be better. i want to use the chevy tranny becouse it has granny low and is syncronized. but everyones telling me to keep the stock tranny, which i dont really want to, but i dont know what would be better. i want a good low gear, but someting i can go at leased 65 with down the road

i need to tweek it out some more, get it lookin good, ill probly sand blast the chassis this weekend

I'm sorry if its further back in the thread, but with the stock axle gearing, a diesel, and a non-OD transmission your chance of hitting 65mph is just about nil.
    Go with the new transmission and t-case. If you have to go diesel go with the 6.2/6.5 - lots more upgrade options.
    If this is going to be a highway driver you are going to have to change out the axle gearing or go with a serious OD transmission.

ok...well, i dont know. tomarrow im picking up the motor.....and it has a tranny on it too, so maby if that tranny is good i could use that, or at leased the adaptor plat.....but i think it might be a trial and eror thing, hitting 65 dosent have to happen, it would be nice for the road, but you know. but tomarrow ill take a bunch of pictures for you guys

I don't know what your budget looks like but going with newer axles could help you out a lot. I switched to CUCV axles (chebby) that has a modern D60 front (lockright) thats way stronger than the stock one and a 14bolt rear (detroit locker) converted to disk brakes and they come with 4.56:1 gearing - might be a better choice for you down the road - and at least its still all military.
    If you do go that route hit AB Linn up for a set of NOS springs - Lee Alessi talked me into it and the cost was very reasonable - my springs looked fine but the NOS ones were a little taller as I guess I had some sag - I kind of figured as I seem to like hauling several yards of gravel at a time. lol

i was going to get a rebuild kit for these axils.

ummm, so today i spent 3 hours at a wrecking yard, to find out that my motor almosed weighs a ton, and for it to fit i need to cut 5 inches out of my fire wall....an thats just the motor, its literally 47 inches long. the holes for the bell housing is 20 inches long, and 38 inches from bottom of oil pan to top of valve cover

the valve cover fits, but were the bell bolts up i need to cut

honest, is it too big?
    my signature is sweet huh?

So do you even know what you got? 53 or 71 series? Sounds like a 3 or 4 cylinder inline, maybe a 6V? Do you know if it even runs? Detroits are finnicky, I hope she ran when pulled. What transmission is bolted up to it? Do you have any pics yet?

I dont know how far you are yet, but did you check to make sure you have adequet oil pan to axle housing clearance, even when fully articulated? What about valve cover to hood clearance? That seemed to be the limiting factor with me and a 4-53.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of hacking the firewall to make an engine fit. Especially with the 715, because there isn't much you can stuff an engine back before it ends up in your lap, and then with a long-a transmission, you don't even have room to push the x-fer case back far enough. You did check to make sure this thing isn't soo long your going to have to move your x-fer case back, right?
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Depending on the transmission he could swap out the tail housing (if 2wd) and put a married 205 on there to save some length.
    I agree that I would really hesitate cutting the firewall to make the motor fit - the cab isn't that big to start with.

Yeah, that will depend on the transmission. Oh man, I just realized something, seeing how long he said that bellhousing and transmission was, until he verifies, I would almost guess he had a road ranger mated to that Detroit. I don't know of many others besides maybe a Clark that would be commonly found on those old engines. If thats the case, I hope he can shift a non-synchroed trans... Won't know till he posts some pictures and/or reads the tags on the stuff though.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

I have a 6.2 non turbo/spicer 3053a tranny/200 t case/stock axles/xl tires at around 4800 feet. My experience is I think the 6.2 is ok, I'd prefer the 6.5 and also believe a turbo should be manditory on the 6.2 if you go that route. On the highway the 6.2 at around 3 grand is running 63 mph according to my buddy's GPS, and that's with the overdrive in the tranny. Certainly going to the CUCV axles would help, and is my plan for the future as well as divorced 205.
    I'd stick to the 6.2/6.5 with the stock drive train, if you want to go diesel. The Detroit engine sounds like a lot of work for little if any gain- gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun