Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: foodstamp's incredible, never-ending multi-topic thread

Arrow 6.2 Diesel

With most projects, the actual work will be much greater then expected. There is a good amount of information on this site regarding putting in the 6.2. The search feature should find them. Many of the posts were by me when I put one in my own M715. For example, you will need to find a flywheel from a 6.2/6.5 w/ manual tranny. Other flywheels from Chevy gas engines, may bolt up but are not balanced correctly. You will need to fabricate new clutch linkage even if the 6-cylinder already has it done as it will conflict with the oil cooling lines coming out of the side of the block.

As others have stated, the best choice may be to run the engine you already have in it.

If your heart is set on a diesel and you already have the Chevy adapter, the 6.2/6.5 is very doable.

All other diesel choices mentioned in this post will require so much work, that most people in your situation would abandon the whole project before successfully making the swap.

Just my quick opinion,
    Rollie

what would be a better tranny? a chevy 4 speed with granny low and a 208 transfercase (i think its a 208, its all gear driven) or the stock tranny and transfercase

what are is the stock tranny and transfercase? the T case is a 203 right?

Stock t'case is an NP200. The 208 would be a more modern (read: better) design. The T98 is the stock transmission. It's quite stout and had a pretty good reputation, if a little clunky to shift. It's the precursor to the venerable T18 you have probably heard much about.

(From http://chevy.off-road.com/chevy/arti....jsp?id=200867)
    The NP208 is a chain driven part time transfer case. It can be operated in either two or four wheel drive. The overall length of the NP208 case is 12"-13" from the face of the case to the rear output yoke's center on fixed yoke models.

The shift positions of the NP208 are as follows from the most forward position (towards the engine) to the rear most position: Two Wheel Drive High Range, Four Wheel Drive High Range, Neutral, Four Wheel Drive Low Range The NP208 shift pattern is not straight forward, it has to be pulled to the side and back to enter four wheel drive low range mode.

When in Two Wheel Drive, the NP208 does not turn the front driveshaft. The NP208 has a high range of 1.00:1 and a low range of 2.61:1 The front axle uses either manual or automatic locking hubs in combination with the NP208.

Unlocking the hubs in two wheel drive save wear on the front axle shafts. The NP208 uses automatic transmission fluid for lubrication The shift linkage of the NP208 is adjustable. Most manuals for appropriate year trucks will have instructions on how to adjust it properly. The NP205 case uses an aluminum case The identification tag of the NP20 8 is located on the rear face of the case The NP208 was available from 1981 to 1987.
    My evaluation is that the Chevy 4-speed (SM420 or SM465, probably, eh?) and modern t'case would be a better overall combination. What I'll probably do is get a SBC adapter (such as you have already) and mate a SBC engine to the stock t'case and get a divorced NP205 t'case to replace the stock NP200.
    Last edited by Binford; October 4th, 2007 at 01:14 AM.
    -- Tim Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    What I'll probably do is get a SBC adapter (such as you have already) and mate a SBC engine to the stock t'case and get a divorced NP205 t'case to replace the stock NP200.

While I suppose you could mount the transfercase to the motor I don't think a SBc has the kind of tq to take off from a dead stop that way.
    Is this what you are planning for yout truck Tim?
    I've played with doublers before, but nothing like what you are suggesting. Kind of limits your ability to stop with the motor running, or to move at all for that matter. Let us know how that works out for you. lol

(No guns and now this? Better check for that NW mold between the ears Tim)
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha!

But a 208 isnt rated near as high as an NP200 in max torque handling and rated GVWR. It also uses a chain, something that stretches and makes some of us nervous versus having an all gear setup like the NP200/202/205 series have.

Quote Originally Posted by BBM715 View Post
    While I suppose you could mount the transfercase to the motor I don't think a SBc has the kind of tq to take off from a dead stop that way.
    Is this what you are planning for yout truck Tim?

(No guns and now this? Better check for that NW mold between the ears Tim)
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha!
    Tough crowd....

I meant SBC to stock TRANNY, then replace the stock NP200 with a divorced NP205.

Now don't make me go out and buy a gun....
    -- Tim Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    But a 208 isnt rated near as high as an NP200 in max torque handling and rated GVWR. It also uses a chain, something that stretches and makes some of us nervous versus having an all gear setup like the NP200/202/205 series have.

and yet nearly all current vehicles use chains, and have the highest GCVWR's in history....

/devilsadvocacy
    **I heart Bump_r **

since you guys were talking about Cummins swaps, i thought i would toss this out. kind of off topic, but here is a swap with a new ISB cummins and NV 5600

http://www.avalancheengineering.com/m715.htm

granted the frame rails where fabbed up front, and the swap looks pretty in depth, but i figured yall would like some pics.

By the way, i start working for the place that did that in about 3 weeks im kind of pumped

and i used to be a member, but the site said i wasn't, so i re-registered??
    Ryan

1/4 of that motor is in the cab. How did they cover that up?

no clue. hopfully it will still be there when i start working. i move in 13 days so if its still there, ill take a look and post it up
    ryan