Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: foodstamp's incredible, never-ending multi-topic thread

ok.....whats the red oxide? i have some primer thats red, i think it says bondo filler, and then theris one more can, and i cant rember what it is, but it dosent have the ball inside the can like most paint....im using 320 on one of those ob sanders.....i tryed it by hand and it still did the same thing. so i dont know what it is, usually rustolium is awsome paint.

whats Gillespie
    my signature is sweet huh?

If your hood is floppy, look at the very front center of it. Have a big crack? Most of them do. I welded my hood up last summer before painting it. 4k miles or so later and the metal next to my welds cracked. I am going to get some FSJ latches and install them so that either a replacement hood or this one repaired won't crack again.

I have a M725 hood and two FSJ hoods at the house, I just need to actually look at them, sand/paint one of them and then order more stickers. Save yourself the trouble and find the FSJ latches now.

If not that, then at least build a strut to connect the FSJ latch mounts so the hood won't flex.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Yep, sounds like you're not letting it cure long enough, or putting it on too thick. Sometimes if you get it too thick it will skin over on the outside and sorta prevent what's under it from curing as fast as it should.

I've been guilty of that when trying to fill some deep scratches. A few thin coats with a little flash time between work better for me than a single heavy coat.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

its been untouched for a week...while i was in school for the week, i didnt touch it...its been out in the sun too...

i dont know lol

hey Barrman, i have no clue how mine is, but ill look at it and see, but i have a idea for you to try that might solve your problem...your hoods cracking from bouncing around, and thats were its stressing out, so what i think would help, is i dont know what their called...but every car has them, and they are like little pads that the hood sits on...

well anywase, put one of those in the middle of the grill so that were your hood is cracking its sitting on that....so that the hood dosent bounce up and down and crack...

just a idea

The hood goes up due to air pressure at speed and from bumps...just the civvy grill wont stop that. The real problem is that there is no center support or hold down...it is being drawn down on the outside corners but not at all in the middle.
    Put on a civvy type center mounted hook holddown and the problem will stop.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by foodstamp View Post
    its been untouched for a week...while i was in school for the week, i didnt touch it...its been out in the sun too...

i dont know lol

I've had similar problems with some of the rattle can primer. I've found Dupli-Color to be the worst. Its like it never cures fully. The real stuff that you put on with a gun, can be sanded within hours if the temp is stable in the 60-80 degree range.

You might try to first knock off the top layer with some very fine 600 or so paper, beforehand. Sometimes its just the surface that will sort of smear when sanded.

I'd be careful though, putting paint over anything that doesn't seem like its cured or sticking well. You may have trouble later down the road.....

ok...ill have to try that

hey, i like the thread name hah.......i it seriousley the longest thread here?

well, i might be getting a 353 for this cheap...and im going to rebuild it...

in the mean while im making a 350....i picked up 2 full blocks, and trying to make one good one, i have a vortec block, everythings ok, except the block, its scared up bad, the crank is scared, but the heads are nice, so im taking those, and some other random things

then i picked up a old block, i tor it down, its never been rebuilt, and its way better, so im going to pop out the pistons, put the block in a boiler, change the rings and berings...then all the other things, put it together and see what i have.

Not to rain on your parade, but have you ever been around a 3-53 much? It makes enough racket to cause the operator to be sterile for the rest of his life and makes slightly less power than a 5 horse Briggs suffering from extreme blow-by. It is however ungodly heavy, at least it has that going for it.

ive seen the one im trying to get... its about as big as the 6 cyl that i pulled out....ive been talking to a guy that has one in a 64 chevy, and he said that it will probly have the power or the 6 cyl too which is kind of a put down. he said they have good torque.

ill just try it out, and if i dont like it ill swap it out back to something else. ill have the 350 if anything happens.

Don't get me wrong - I LIKE different. I think most of us do, considering what we have a passion for. But a 3-53 is going to be a PITA to put in. If it was something cool/rare then I'd say go for it on that basis alone. The weight and lack of HP means that sand/mud are things to avoid - oh, stay off the hwy too. They are WAY loud in a way that isn't good even to a sub 21 year old.
    If you are 14 or less, have a lot of time/help/money then do it and take the pics! Then when you get closer to the legal driving age swap it out for that 350 or a Ford 460 - something you will actually want to drive.

My .02