Thread: Factory gas heater, M725

Default Factory gas heater, M725

I'm considering removing the factory gas heater that came in the rear patient compartment of my 725. Mine was still hooked up to everything and looked like it could run, but I've never had any interest in trying to fire it up- and my truck is now 12 volt and I think the heater requires 24v input, right?
    Knowing nothing about their operation, it seems like its in a bad spot to have a gas heater - right above the gas tank and I just don't think I want to mess with it.

My questions:
    1. Do any of you 725 guys still use your patient compartment gas heater? If so , how reliable are they. Any Ralph Nader-esque cautionary tales about these that you want to share?

2. Is there a market for these out there on the zone or on EBay? Mine is complete and connected to its mounting base plate and includes the factory exhaust pipe, exhaust bulkhead fitting and the pump/filter manifold set-up and mil. electrical connector components-just like they came from the factory. it includes everything except the wall control box, which I want to leave in the truck. How much should I ask for it?

Thanks,
    Bryce
    1969 M725 ambulance

I don't know the model of those heaters you mention but similar ones of the same era as installed in radio shelters were prone to go BOOM. Some will run on diesel (fuel oil) and were much safer. There was also reports of monoxide leakage in the shelters and we had a flunky detector on the wall to alert us during my Army days but never used them. I only know of using the heaters once during my service.

Both my restored shelters here have them and I refuse to fire them up.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Mine fires right up in one of my M725s. No idea how long it sat before I fired it up. Had my doubts it would start but, had no problems with it. Heat will run you out on Low. Haven't tried the other ones.
    1968 M725(2)
    1967 M715
    1967 M725(2)
    1963 M43
    1954 M37
    1967 M103A3 w/M1010 Body

I have 3 or 4 of those things stored. I want to hook one up and see how it does. Yet, I don't want to win a Darwin Award either.

Al out in Oregon had one installed inside the cab of his M715 and said it worked so good he was never able to leave the windows up it got so hot inside no matter what the outside temps.

I think there were 3 different applications for them in the M715 family. Inside the truck cab, inside the ambulance box and inside the bed in the artic configuration.

The idea is really neat though. Especially the way they did it with the M35 trucks. My Gasser M35 had the coolant system heater. It plumbed into the coolant and had a heated tray the batteries sat on. It heated the engine through the coolant.

The multifuel trucks had one that heated the oil pan up so the oil would be able to flow.

TM's are online for the units and they read like it is no big deal to light a fire inside the truck with 30 more gallons of fuel right there ready to burn. If you want to light it off, find and read the TM first.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Default Thanks

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts on the gas heater. I may check out the TM and give it a try with my fire extinguisher at the ready.
    Cheers,
    Bryce
    1969 M725 ambulance

I was a fuel and elect repairman 63G40. Repaired the heaters in Alaska. They are simple but need some essential parts. The flame detector switch is actuated by a quartz rod in a metal tube. If the rod gets a serious jar and breaks you are done. I will pay shipping if you want to send it to me.

I fired the one in my M725 once just to make sure it worked, but have never really found a need to run it again. It ran like a champ and sure warmed the rear compartment quickly, but I just don't find the need as I'm not carrying patients back there.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/