Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: My second M715 build. What was I thinking?

Today, I checked the tire pressure in my truck. All four (I don't have a spare yet) were down just a little but evenly low. So, I guess I need to drive it some this weekend, wadda ya think?

I'm jealous. I wish all I needed to do was air up my tires to go for a spin.

I'm feeling pretty defeated today.

I got the crossover installed this morning and ended up running to my local NAPA for a few new u joints and a new power steering line. The local NAPA only had two joints in stock and no line. The distribution center had what I needed but is a half hour from home in another town. I had some parts that I needed to return in that town later so I went home and got the rear drive shaft installed.

This afternoon I went in to town and got a new power steering line but forgot the u joints for the front shaft.

I got the new power steering line installed and poured four new quarts of Amsoil into the transmission.

The moment of truth had arrived. I connected the batteries and went to start it but the starter would barely turn the engine. I pulled the gear reduction starter off the truck only to realize it isn't the wide nose I need for a manual transmission with a flywheel. That was disappointing but I do have a direct drive starter that works so I swapped the starter out.

The engine came to life and I cautiously depressed the clutch pedal and put the transmission in gear. I eased off the clutch and didn't move at all. I tried reverse and had the same problem. No noise no nothing.

Since my tunnel cover isn't bolted down yet I slid id out of the way and watched the output yoke of the transmission as I tried again. Nothing. The transmission was not turning.

At this point I'm guessing I bought a broken transmission. It must have a broken input shaft?

I'm ready to take a break from this. Tomorrow is supposed to be nicer than today was. Maybe I'll shoot some paint so at least it will look nice...

After a good nights sleep I'm wondering if my new internal slave cylinder may be depressing the fingers on the pressure plate thereby disengaging the clutch even before I push in the clutch lever. Since the design of the clutch is such that I can't see the throwout bearing I have no idea if the clutch is actually engaged to the flywheel.

I'm hoping my son will be home today to help me troubleshoot this a little further. Either way I'm assuming I'm pulling the transmission to inspect further.

At this point I think I may be getting close to what my problem is. I was able to determine after closer inspection that my clutch disk is not tight against the flywheel. I'm guessing I have the wrong pressure plate or slave cylinder.

I couldn't get my head in position to see but was able to get my camera in position to inspect inside the bell housing. I can't be sure but it looks like the pressure plate is indeed being pushed by the slave cylinder.

Also I noticed some drainage holes on the bottom of the bell housing that allows me to see a very small portion of the clutch disk. I can reach my finger through the hole and can move the clutch disk back and forth slightly which indicates to me the clutch is not actually engaged against the flywheel.

I guess I'm pulling the transmission.

The transmission has been pulled. It came out surprisingly easy.

I definitely have a wrong part. I'm guessing my clutch set is incorrect. I will bring it with me to NAPA to compare what their computer says I need.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper View Post
    The transmission has been pulled. It came out surprisingly easy.

I definitely have a wrong part. I'm guessing my clutch set is incorrect. I will bring it with me to NAPA to compare what their computer says I need.

There are several options depending on flywheel and throwout bearing style. Past experience shows a dual mass flywheel uses a different clutch and pressure plate then a solid flywheel, and it again changes based on throwout beating. I think for a total of 3 different styles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again.

I guess I'm making baby steps today. I got the new clutch set this afternoon and I got it installed. This clutch seems to disengage the transmission and allow the transmission to be engaged.

Now I have a new problem. Even in neutral when I let off the clutch the truck wants to go forward. It will shift into reverse and move backwards but when I put it in neutral it still wants to go forward.

I will be searching for answers but I suspect my shift forks are not aligned properly. The shifter seems to rake through all the gears but it is more difficult now than before to shift into first and reverse.

How did the pilot bearing look? I think your shift fork idea is correct but wanted to throw something else at you.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks Tim.

The pilot bearing is new. And I was surprised that it is actually a bearing not a bushing.

I contacted the guy I bought the transmission from and he suggested removing the top cover and inspecting the rings that go on the syncros to make sure they are in the right place and that there aren't two engaged at the same time.

I'm hoping that makes sense when I get the top cover off the tranny. Getting the top off looks like it will be easy in the M715 because it fits almost perfectly under the tunnel cover.

4 bolts with a 10 mm socket will get it off fast.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw