Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Angry_Truck rebuild update

Default Other random question - underhood marking?

Can anyone tell me what the text on the underside of the hood is supposed to say? Something along the lines of "Secure hood in open position with safety hook before ________" Maybe the blank is "servicing engine"? The pic below is of my hood before sand blasting it all away. I would like to know what it says so I can re-write it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Truck View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the text on the underside of the hood is supposed to say? Something along the lines of "Secure hood in open position with safety hook before ________" Maybe the blank is "servicing engine"? The pic below is of my hood before sand blasting it all away. I would like to know what it says so I can re-write it. Thanks!
    Yes, BEFORE SERVICING ENGINE. This was a very common motorpool added marking as the other vehicles in service at the time did not have hood springs like the M715. Vehicles like the M37, M35, and M38a1 Jeeps all had a hook on them to hold open the hood so the wind could not blow it shut on the soldier doing maintenance. This was unnecessary with the M715 since it had standard civilian style hood springs, but was commonly placed under the hood of them because when the Motorpool Sargeant told some lowly private to paint it under all the hoods in the motorpool, they just did what they were told. weather the vehicle needed it or not.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

mine shows:

WARNING
    DISCONNECT BAT.
    BEFORE SERVICING
    GENERATOR OR
    REGULATOR
    DISC. NEG. LEAD
    FIRST
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Beast -
    I sent an email to your DeltaTeamDecals email.

Mine didn't have that, but it had this.

Winter is creeping in, slowing progress but here is an update on some of the stuff I have been working on:

When I bought the truck, the windshield looked like this:

Not sure if that was caused by someone's head or fist but after working on this truck for a while, either seems likely.

It only took me about 20 years but I finally got it fixed:

I bought the replacement cowl gasket from Memphis Equip.

While I was at it, I replaced the footman loop padding with a kit from Ebay:

I dug out the vacuum wipers from their dusty old box and cleaned them up. I found that one of them was missing the knob on the end of the manual lever, so I turned a new one:

I bought a new horn and made a bracket for it only to find out that it interferes with the desert-style air cleaner kit. The kit is supposed to have a new bracket that mounts the horn up near the radiator but I haven't dug into that yet:

More in another post.

I also turned my attention to the fixed and sliding windows. Like most, my slides were in bad shape. The flocking (fuzz) on all of them was stiff and peeling. Without any replacements available for purchase (as far as I know), I tried to duplicate them with some velcro (soft side).

The original tracks inside the door at the back side of the sliding window were cracked, peeling and hardened:

After cleaning all the old flocking off, I cut velcro strips to size and glued them with 3M weatherstripping adhesive:

I did the same method for the inner sliding window seal along the top of the door:
    Original:

Replacement:

All together, they look pretty good. Not sure yet about durability but I will give them a try. I now have windows that slide and seem to have a decent seal (well at least as good as the original).

Goofing around with some underhood stuff and finally getting around to installing the desert style hang-down aircleaner. I bought a complete NOS kit years ago, but as I went to install it, I realized it doesn't come with the "rain shield". According to the install instructions, you are supposed to remove that from the original air cleaner. My original was probably tossed into the dumpster 25 years ago by the Elkhart Indiana Department of Civil Defense.

Soooo, I am trying to see if anyone has a spare "rain shield" they could part with?

The cap is the same as the M38a1 so that helps in searching for them. Midwest Military has them in-stock for $40 https://shop.midwestmilitary.com/pro...er-precleaner/
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Thanks Beast!