Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: engine swap advice

What I'm thinking about: Is there any chance do deal with Jeep Diesels 2.8 or 3.0? The 2.8 has a nice TQ, but only 177HP. Could be bolted to a NSG370 6-speed, like it is done in modern Jeeps, so with 4.56 Gear there must be a wide range of choices for the right Power or TQ. What's about the TC (NP200 is divorced, so it might possible...?)

The 3.0 is married to Auto TM, NSG don't like much TQ...

Never noticed about a built with one of those engines. Why, to expensive?

I agree a Cummins would be a great swap especially an earlier 12 valve but some of these older small blocks can be had for cheap. I have a 350 that threw a rod this fall on a trip and whats nice is since I already run a SM465 my chevy engine options are plentiful. I recently got a FREE '74 suburban with a running 454 and a bad tranny that I'm going to swapping in over the next few months.

Also remember that a 6BT Cummins weighs 1100 lbs and generally runs at low RPM (Think my Dodge 24 valve redlines at like 3200, and peak torque is at like 1700-1800 RPM) so your stock axles would probably be too deep of gearing. If you catch the diesel bug like I have your Cummins will be putting out serious power and you'll likely have axle survival problems. Also I think 1991.5 and up engines are intercooled so you'll need to figure that into the front clip area as well.

At the end of the day it depends what you’re doing with your truck. Lots of highway? Towing? Occasional trail riding? My truck gets terrible mileage but I don't care since I only use it on 4x4 trips where I tow it out there. I get 11-12 mpg towing it with my Dodge Cummins, probably double what I would get in the Jeep.

those 1100 pounds certainly is an issue, i plan on mine being a mostly light to medium offroad (nothing too crazy) vehicle and and beach truck (once i get EVERYTHING painted). what are some peoples mileage like with a 350 pushing around 300 hp and 350 or so tq? one of my buddies says his is decent but he also isnt pushing around a 5/4 ton truck

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

With a small-block Chevy, stock gearing and transmission, you can expect around 4-5 MPG........
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

My sbc with stock gearing and a th400 gets about 10 mpg highway.

the Jeep 2.8 or 3.0 diesels could work but the nsg370 is probably a little light for a 5/4 ton truck. None built with these engines because they aren't available in the US and would be expensive relative to cummins 4bt or 6bt.

Default 350 with tuned port injection

i am going to go with 350 tuned port injection set up . i have a 350 out of a 89 iroc camaro and all of the other parts to go with it ( bought the whole car ). the 87 88 89 have a roller cam and liftres and a mass air sensor . go with a mass air sensor system because if you go with any performace upgrades the engine will make more horse power but if you go with the map sensor system ,and if you made any upgrades you have to reprogram the mem cal in the computer . the tpi makes good low end torque and the engine was getting well over 20 mpg's in the camaro . also the nice shinny tpi runners looks nice under the hood . but if you go this way buy a whole car because buying parts here and there will cost way more . chevy stuff is cheap and plentiful . it doesnt take much to make 300 hp and 400 ft torque .

With the OD trans and taller tires it should get good mileage even with stock gears, too. There was someone on here a while back with a similar setup who claimed over 20, but he had modern axles with gears in the mid 4's on 40 inch'ish tires, too if I remember right.

We are Dyslexia of Grob. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated...

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndA View Post
    With the OD trans and taller tires it should get good mileage even with stock gears, too. There was someone on here a while back with a similar setup who claimed over 20, but he had modern axles with gears in the mid 4's on 40 inch'ish tires, too if I remember right.
    That will be the key.

With stock gearing and transmission, the fuel mileage is pretty abysmal. Usually around 3,200 RPM to run 55 MPH with a small-block and stock drivetrain.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I'm almost pulling this from thin air, but if I remember right a 350 with a 700, tires around 40 inch and gears in the mid 4's turned 1700RPM at 55, and with the stock gears 2000 or 2200. Vast improvement over the stock trans and tire diameter no matter what.

We are Dyslexia of Grob. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated...

anybody else heard about this?