Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opposite T-case Levers?

Default Opposite T-case Levers?

i just wanted to check in and see if i am missing something... it seems as though my t-case levers are opposite of the diagram on the data plate. by the plates it seems to me that 2wd hi would be both levers forward. on mine and another guys that i've seen, both levers forward is 4lo and both levers pulled back/ down is 2wd hi. also, it seems rear lever is hi/lo and front is 2/4wd, which is opposite from the diagram. i couldn't make any sense of it. perhaps i am mis-interpreting the diagram

Stock setup is:

Rear lever shifts from 2WD to 4WD...move the rear lever to the rear and engage 4WD.

Front lever shifts from HI range to LOW range...move the front lever rearward to engage LOW range.

Both sticks forward, 2WD, HI range.
    Rear stick back, front stick forward, 4WD, HI range.
    Both sticks backward, 4WD, LOW range.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Funny this is here, I just came in to look this up too. My is acting the same as 97XJSPs is both back HI 2WD. Not really sure yet why it is doing this.

Just found this pic again, I was looking for it and ran across this thread first.
    I'll have to double check my linkage rods, but I'm guessing that they are switched making the levers work backwards from the pic in this post.

Can someone post a pic of stock transfer case levers?

For a stock NP200 with that linkage, the pivot point...bottom of the lever...is below the point at which the linkage rod to the tcase is mounted...so the linkage rod is always going to move back into the NP200 when a lever is moved rearward...one would have to mount the linkage rod to the tcase below the point where the pivot point of the lever is...impossible with stock parts.

I would wonder if it is a different tcase...

How bout a pic or 2 of the linkage from one of these odd acting trucks looking up from underneath? That would be telling...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Is it possible that the linkage hole of the lever is used as the pivot and the pivot (bottom) hole the lever is attached to the linkage rod? This would make it work backwards.... or is this what you are saying can't be done without modifying stock parts?

The front lever cant do that because the side of the trans wont let the shift lever go down far enough to bolt in the other hole...

With all the shoulder bolts and bushings and such there, I cant remember if the holes on the shift levers are the same size or not...it is confusing linkage without pics...

Possible the 2WD to 4WD lever is wrong...like I said...a pic or pics would help!

everything on my rig appears to be stock. i had someone send me some pics of the linkages. they are difficult to interpret but maybe someone else can spot something i'm missing since this is the only one i've ever seen...

http://www.zshare.net/image/62415623b85a42a9/

http://www.zshare.net/image/624157866269c4e6/

http://www.zshare.net/image/624154037e065533/

also, just out of curiosity, is there one lever that is typically more stubborn than the other? on mine it seems high/low (rear lever) is smooth but 4wd/2wd (front lever) is a bit trickier and a touch of reverse makes things easier... just wondering if there is a common "trend" also, i had a hard time telling for sure but i'm almost certain my observations are correct. the best way i could tell was to back up a hill... if the rear tires spun it was 2wd. also, both levers back was how i kept up with traffic...

just another thought... i'm pretty sure when i parked the truck it was in 2wd HI (both levers back). looking at the third picture i posted does that make sense with the way the linkages are on the t-case? (left one "out", right one "in"?) judging by the descriptions and broncomans pic, the positions on my t-case would suggest 2-low which isn't the case nor is it possible it's getting too late for me to be stewing over this... let me know if you can think of something and i'll check back in tomorrow night.
    Thanks!