Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Another 4bt build

No the steering wheel is not stock....but its the right size and the power steering setup with the crossover steering is 1 finger easy. Not to mention is tracks down the road really nicely. The front is however stiffer then desired but the rear on the chevy half tons is very nice.

I'm hoping this will help to smooth out the front a little...

12k lbs for those who were wondering.

Exhaust is a 3 inch downpipe wrapped in header wrap and ceramic rattle canned. That feeds to a 6 inch piece of flex coupler and then into a magnaflow race series muffler, part # 14159 just because I happen to remember that.

For now it dumps right after the cab but I can always plumb it back further at a later time if I so desire. To be honest though I really do not enjoy exhaust work.

And now the pictures that Mikel has been waiting for....

I am running the stock radiator which is so far working well. With a generic Mishimoto series G intercooler (think ricer )

I am running this setup now because it required minimal cutting of the stock core support to fit everything. I only had to cut where the intercooler feed and exhaust flow is.

The fan is a flexalite and actually dual fan setup with adjustable thermostat. This fan is the cheese to be honest and I am very very happy with it. Also, only 2 1/4inches thick.

Some problems I ran into when starting to drive the truck were as follows. A LOT OF BLACK SMOKE AND WATER.... I spoke with Mikel and we decided this most likely was just the side effect of an old motor and turbo that have sat for a long long time. Giving her some run time has cleaned that up nicely.

The next major issue was a lack of brakes. I installed a vacuum ball and was definitely getting power but the limp pedal took three pumps to get firm and after much bleeding decided the master was just too darn small. So, I went with a larger master, original bore was 1 1/8 inches, the new one is 1.35inches and has equally sized reservoirs for the front and rear. This is especially important for my truck because I am running front calipers all around so feeding 8 pistons takes a lot of fluid. I can get the part number on this MC is anyone wants it. But since it is for a hydroboosted setup I ended up having to enlarge the mount holes and cut down my pushrod from the vacuum assist. I will say now though, the all around disc brakes are friggin awesome.

After all this, my clutch linkage snapped.... the problem was the pedal mounting point was done in a polymer/plastic crap, figures from ford and all. So I made a new master to pedal rod with all steel and bronze bushed assemblies.

The last big problem though was that of overheating...the thing just always wanted to run too hot.

To remedy this I replaced the rad cap and pulled the thermostat. After testing the thermo I decided it was in fine working order but could not figure why my fans had never been turning on and the coolant system was losing pressure so quickly after overheating....

Well what I left out is that as I removed the thermostat it had been installed ass backwards.... so the temperature sensitive side was just sucking air doh. Somewhere down the line someone made the mistake of not using their friggin noggin. Essentially, the thermostat only can be installed one way because of clearance to the head. If you install the thermo between the head and lift plate there is only room for it to go in backwards. If you put the thermo where it belongs on the outside of the spacer though, it fits perfectly well.

WRONG

Thermo Housing/Lift Plate/Thermo/Head

CORRECT

Thermo Housing/Thermo/Lift Plate/Head

Since then however it has been running well right around 190-200 degrees F.

So, next on the list is to finish rust repair and por 15 and linex the cab floors. Then add some seatbelts tomorow and try and see if she can make it out to PA in a couple of weeks for an extended road trial.

Here's something else to throw under the bed

Down the road I also want to get a cleaner bed from an undisclosed source. As well as mount my winch and horns. Install an E-brake. Get a cage bent up and put in some 5-pointers. Then maybe a stereo with marine speakers in the bed.

Also in the immediate future are some twin stick shifters I ordered for my NP205.

Well that's all for now, please comment and question at will.

-Steve

You guy's crank out good work, thanks for sharing and incentive.

Will you be going to the Brooklyn CT fair this weekend coming up? I'm going to head down in my deuce there's supposed to be a lot of antique trucks and tractors there all weekend. maybe I will see you there, also there is a gut in Hampton CT who is a fabricator and truck builder you may want to meet.

Hmmm I don't think I can make it up there this weekend because I have some other commitments, but from their website it looks pretty cool. This weekend I hope to get a torque limiter fabbed for my 4bt, as well as finish out the floor and do some other driveability based things.

-Steve

Very, very nice. I'll have to stop by and check it out again!

By the way, please PM me your email address.

Default What did you put on the frame etc for rust?

so did the wire wheel and flapper disc take care of it then? Then what? just that then por15? did you use their chassis black stuff or?

Pretty much I wire wheeled the entire frame and flapped the particularly bad areas. But for now it is just standard Por-15... if it rusts Ill spot treat it with wire wheel and Por-15.

Quick update....

I finished the floors... sort of, still waiting on shifter and boots for the trans case. I also mounted my air horns woot woot. And the torque limiter strap is fabbed in and friggin awesome. Took a lot of shake out of the motor. I can post pics later if you all want but they will be cellphone pics?

email is burritoboi52120@aol.com btw

This truck really looks awesome. I'm over in Newtown. Hopefully I'll se this around at some point. For the record there is a huge m725 in Southbury on what looked to be 38's with Dick Cepek DC1's (bling bling). Sounded like a 350 under the hood tho
    67 M725

Well I should be headed up to northern CT this weekend to pickup a bed so keep an eye out for my truck minus bed cruising down the highway lol