Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: My Build

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
    Full hydro is kinda spooky on the highway.
    That's an understatement. I'd stay away from it myself unless you are trailering to the trail.

Also keep in mind: no engine running = no steering.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    That's an understatement. I'd stay away from it myself unless you are trailering to the trail.

Also keep in mind: no engine running = no steering.
    that is not entirely true. most hydro set ups have a "hand pump" basically the orbital will move the fluid. its like the PS pump going south on a normal system but quite a bit more difficult and slower.

i have driven rock buggies with full hydro at road speed. it is different, but not what i would call spooky or unsafe. my biggest thing is the lack of mechanical connection. if a hose goes, all of your control is gone. that is a spooky thought if you are going over 5 mph. a well engineered mechanical steering with hydro assist is hard to beat. you can turn whenever you want, and still have that failsafe if the pump or hoses or fluid go away. with big tires you have to engineer the system to handle the force of the ram and the tires being wedged against something so you arent constantly breaking stuff.

my steering was set up so i can add the assist in the future. i would feel comfortable parking the tire against a wall and moving the truck sideways with the steering. i used 1.25" .281" wall DOM and 3/4"x3/4" rod ends and IMO the weakest point in the steering is the cast knuckles.

Ryan
    Last edited by ryanroo; March 16th, 2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: smashed finger= typing worse than normal
    67 #18820 mostly stock...

hes right there is some steering on a full hydro setup if the engine isnt running...kinda like manual steering with 44 inch tires...lol

I just spent a few weeks at home but didn't really get much time to touch the truck. I did get some new parts but nothing to brag about. I did purchase a Miller 211 welder to replace my POS craftsman welder. It's a night and day difference. I have 3 weeks off in Feb and a heated garage so hopefully I will be able to take it out on its first drive in over 2 years during that time.

I decided to take a trip home at the end of October, I just ordered my PSC full hydro rockwell steering kit, I ordered brakes from red barn customs and also having them make me driveshafts and providing the flanges for the NP205. I am hopefully that I will have it moving under its own power sometime early November. Getting close and it only took a few years. Not to bad for only being in the states about 30 days a year.

My keyboard just shorted out from all the drooling. LOL

Did you run into any issues with the mounting of the rocks under there?

I am going to do the same thing except I will do a 1-2" zero rate block in the rear instead of the front post flip.

Thanks

Bob

I didn't have any problems getting the axles under the truck. The only issue may be oil pan clearance. I am moving the front axle forward an inch and that should give me enough room.

Who did you get your wheels from? What backspacing did you order? Did you flip your hubs on either axle?

Truck is looking good!!! Keep the pics coming!!
    M715 Dreamer.

Quote Originally Posted by CE_TX View Post
    Who did you get your wheels from? What backspacing did you order? Did you flip your hubs on either axle?

Truck is looking good!!! Keep the pics coming!!
    I got my wheels off of ebay from seller roxyjp16 I just got them the way he sells them, he said they were pretty much centered on the rim so it came out to about 5" of backspacing. My hubs are flipped out on both axles.

Thanks for the info, I will be running the same axles and tires. Just haven't decided which way to go on the wheels. Right now they are mounted on the stock split rims and I like the looks of the recentered HEMITT wheels so I will check them out on ebay.
    M715 Dreamer.