Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevy 350 Engine Mount plans

Default Chevy 350 Engine Mount plans

Do any of you guys that have done a 350 conversion have plans for the engine mounts? My initial idea will be to mount it to the t98 with a novack adapter.

If anyone has plans, design spec, or even just a drawing on some graph paper on how you made your engine mounts, please let me know. Its nice not to have to recreate the wheel for something that is kinda common.

Zach

I would find a FSJ that had the bolt-on motor mount horns (bracket from frame in to engine that the rubber mount bolts to). If I recall correctly, you can take those, bolt the SBC motor mount to it and the engine, and then just bolt them to the frame. My 65 J-300 the mounts bolted to the frame and all I had to do when I swapped the 230 out for a GMC 305 V-6 was just unbolt them, move them back, and bolt them back on, the holes were already in the frame. I think this was because Jeep was also putting the 327 AMC motor in them. I don't think the M715 frame is drilled for it, as the motor mounts are welded in rather than being bolted on. . .I know others have more SBC experience than i do , . .so will look to see other ideas. . .

i used the bolts that hold the shock tower to the frame. just made a plate that holds the same bolt pattern and bent a tube to go unde rthe oil pan. then i mocked the engine in place and built stands off of the cross tube to the engine. the added crossmember is a good idea in my mind

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Here is what I did....Big Block Chevy, but the Small Block mounts the exact same. Its just HREW and some flat stock. Went all the way through the frame and welded both sides: (cat not included)

"Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Ryanroo's bolting to the shock tower bolts reminds of the rest of my conversion issue, . .the 230 mounts are forward on the frame compared to SBC, so they are also forward of where the shock mounts are. The bolt-on FSJ motor mount uses the same bolt pattern as the shock tower, so when I moved them back, I bolted the motor mount and the shock mount together. They lined right up for the GMC V-6, and then after I sold that truck to a friend, he put a SBC in it and didn't need to do anything with the mounts. . .

Nice Fab work Ryranroo, my only concern with your design, and it would only be a concern for some, . .is clearance for a PTO driveshaft. . .

Thanks

unfortunately my truck is WO/W so that isn't a concern for me. if i add a winch it will likely be electric. i would like to get the factory pto winch but they stick out to far for my liking. maybe someday i'll get one and do some custom work to make it better for me
    Ryan

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
    i would like to get the factory pto winch but they stick out to far for my liking.
    That and they weigh a ton......well, really 500 lbs or so.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

How about these NOVAK mounts?
    http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/e...ounts/mm29.htm

Zach

Personally, I would avoid adapting to the stock trans. The adapters cost more than a Chevy trans. Also, I have some 'Spicer Plates' available with brand new Energy Suspension mounts, cheap. Make an offer and I'll send them to you.

I agree, buying adapters is too expensive for most of us, Just go with a SM465 or a SM420 trans, both have excellent gearing. better yet of course would be the NV4500 with overdrive from a chevy