Thread: Power steering pump

Default Power steering pump

I have read a lot of treads about power steering and usually they are about the box itself ... but what about the pump ?? Does any model has better fitting then others ?? Big truck but not too much space left for the power steering pump .. so from which donor is yours ?? and does it was hard to fit ??

Thanks
    Rockwells / Cummins / 3053A
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

It would be best if the pump and the box came from the same application. Or, if building from new parts, tell the people you are buying from that you need them to match.

As far as hoses go. The box end is going to be the same no matter what. the pump end of the pressure hose will either be a male or a female. Not really any difference in my opinion on which one to use. Just make sure it is the same as the pump when you go picking up stuff or making them.

Here is my pump bolted to the 230 4 years ago:
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see the wonderful, well thought out wiring the fire department did to my truck too. I used a 1966 Impalla as the donar for the box, pump and hoses. Try to find a FSJ so you get the pitman arm that is correct instead of doing all the mixing and matching I had to go through.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

for the hoses it will not be a problem , i have someone local who can built anything. Just wandering if any pump fit better than other because i already have a big GM pump from a 91 3500 with the hydrobost setup .... got everything !! But the pump seems to be bigger than those of the FSJ .
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

Which pulley? My single belt pulley only fits on the older pumps. The "canned ham" pumps had a bigger shaft and I think the serpentine belt pumps are bigger still. They all mount on the engine the same way though.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Look closely at your hose connections, some of the newer stuff uses a o-ring seal rather than a inverted flare fitting. The pump for the hydroboost has higher capacity because of the hydroboost, it will also run higher pressure; not a bad thing with bigger tires,etc, but need to take into consideration when building hoses. Are you going to use the hydroboost? Another thing that the bigger pump for the hydroboost is good for is if you want to run a hydraulic winch, such as a Milemarker ..

yes i want to run the hydroboost and will have a dedicated pump for my hydro winch
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

In my opinion, a dedicated pump is a better plan for a hydraulic winch. While the milemarker setup seems to work ok, . .compared to other pump options, the PS pump is limited in capacity, ..

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

In the few hydro winch setups I've experienced, when they piggyback off the steering pump, heat is always an issue. Those pumps aren't designed to do more than run the steering.

As far as the pullies....I have seen only two different setups on GM pumps. Early ones and the Monte Carlo pumps used a keyed shaft and nut. The rest used a press on pulley. The shaft diameter is the same on all the general duty press-ons I've seen with either single, dual or serpentine.

That isn't to say that the truck stuff above 1 ton may not be bigger. I haven't really worked with them much to remember.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

for the wich pump .... i will be using a VICKERS pump or snow plow pump since i can have the engine mount and a pump that fit this engine ..... and already have the lower pulley built for that ...

But for now on the stock motor .... i will do only the power steering setup.
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer