Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First M715 purchase

Default Rebuilding the harmonic balancer

Looks like willysamerica.com in California will rebuild my balancer if I ship it to them. The price on their Websites says $215 but I'm not sure if that includes shipping it back. I emailed them about that and turnaround time. When I hear back I'll post their response.

Welcome to the fun.

I know you want to jump right in and get at it. However, spending that much money for a balancer seems criminal to me when just about weekly there is someone somewhere in the country giving an entire running engine away for these trucks. Patience might be your best course of some this stuff.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by fliptop View Post
    I have uploaded the images to my webserver, but there's no "picture button" for me to link. Only an "additional option" at the bottom to attach files. Here's a full-size screenshot:

http://www.peacecomputers.com/m715je...screenshot.png
    The picture button is along the top of the reply box.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Default Changing the engine

I currently have a 1974 J20:

Also acquired via gov't auction, but this time from the Virginia Dept of Forestry. It has a tired old AMC 360 in it. When I first got it the cam was shot and a couple of lifters had holes in them. No doubt they used modern oil but didn't put in a zinc additive.

So after changing the cam, lifters, pushrods, rocker arms, timing chain and gears, water pump, and putting in a new fuel tank and pump, and rebuilding the carb and a new distributor, plus front calipers and brake pads and rear wheel cylinders and shoes, plus changing gear oil in both axles and a new mount, filter, gasket, fluid and a bottle of Lucas in the TH400, (holy crap, when I type it out that really is a lot of work!), it runs pretty good now and I've been using it as my semi-daily driver to do jobs. It's been working hard and making back the money I've spent.

In any case, back to the tired old AMC 360, it's kind of a dog. This thing has 4.10 gears in a Dana 60 and Dana 44 and the torque is there but the HP isn't. I have a couple old SBC 350 blocks lying around and a set of Vortec heads from a '99 pickup so I decided to build a 383 stroker for it.

Should I consider doing the same thing for the M715? Or would building the AMC 360 be a better choice? One thing that's swaying my opinion toward another 383 stroker is the fact that it took a month to get the cam and stuff for the AMC 360, but SBC 350 parts are available everywhere.

I've crunched some numbers and even at 6000 RPM in the stroker my piston speed will still be below 4000 feet/minute, so I think the motor will last a good while.

And what about re-gearing the axles or a different tranny? I don't intend to build the M715 into a rock crawler, just something I can use in the woods to winch logs out of the ravine and haul them home, or to tow a portable sawmill and haul home the lumber.

Opinions welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Welcome to the fun.

I know you want to jump right in and get at it. However, spending that much money for a balancer seems criminal to me when just about weekly there is someone somewhere in the country giving an entire running engine away for these trucks. Patience might be your best course of some this stuff.
    It does seem high, but I need to get the vehicle off the forestry's property ASAP and hauling it home will cost much, much more. If spending a couple hundred gets it running and driving it'll save me over a thousand in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    The picture button is along the top of the reply box.
    That looks totally different in my browser. I don't have any of those options. Take a look at my screenshot. I'm using Firefox on Linux.

Doesn't really matter much since I figured out I can wrap the URL in IMG tags and all is well w/ the world.

I have a real soft spot for Full Size Jeeps.
    Love your vintage J20.
    You are going to have a nice pair.

In any case, back to the tired old AMC 360, it's kind of a dog. This thing has 4.10 gears in a Dana 60 and Dana 44 and the torque is there but the HP isn't. I have a couple old SBC 350 blocks lying around and a set of Vortec heads from a '99 pickup so I decided to build a 383 stroker for it.

Should I consider doing the same thing for the M715? Or would building the AMC 360 be a better choice? One thing that's swaying my opinion toward another 383 stroker is the fact that it took a month to get the cam and stuff for the AMC 360, but SBC 350 parts are available everywhere.

I've crunched some numbers and even at 6000 RPM in the stroker my piston speed will still be below 4000 feet/minute, so I think the motor will last a good while.

Opinions welcome...

One of the main reasons I put a cheby 350 in mine is that I know, in 30 years, I can still get parts for it, and likely, off the shelf in many places.
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

And what about re-gearing the axles or a different tranny? I don't intend to build the M715 into a rock crawler, just something I can use in the woods to winch logs out of the ravine and haul them home, or to tow a portable sawmill and haul home the lumber.

Opinions welcome...
    I ran a 350/700r4 with the stock transfer case and axle gears for several years.
    That was good for keeping RPMs down with the stock 5.87 gears, but the NP200 transfer case builds up heat and blows out the seals. Highway speed still limited.

Swapped to a Ford 390/T18/divorced NP205 a few years ago. T18 is pretty much the same as the stock T98. The 205 eliminated the heat issue, new limit was engine RPM.

Swapped gears and went with 4.56.. It's much better on the highway.
    Search the site and you can probably find part numbers for the gears and see if they're still available.

Since you want different wheels, it'd be cheaper/easier to swap axles than regear.
    I would have swapped axles but already had an investment in the stock axles with new brakes, bearings, seals, lockers....

That's a good looking truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Swapped gears and went with 4.56.. It's much better on the highway.
    Search the site and you can probably find part numbers for the gears and see if they're still available.
    Thanks for the advice, I may try regearing the axles before changing the transmission and transfer case.

That's a good looking truck.
    Thanks! For what I paid it'd better be...